1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved My printbed stops heating.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Luis Alberto, Oct 7, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to test the heated bed output on the RAMPS for power when it is commanded to heat the bed (roughly 12vdc)
    This thread has a picture of the R1+ RAMPS board (it is custom to the R1+)

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

You must either use that thread to convert to a generic RAMPS board (which are cheaply always available everywhere) or buy a replacement from Robo.

The output you want to check is the one labeled heated bed power in that photo.

Geof likes this.
  2. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Great thank you for the detailed picture link. I will check voltages and report back later today. Much appreciation for the reply Mark.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Mark! Crazy busy today. Energen system tests

Matt Gorski likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure good luck!
    If the power is getting sent from the RAMPS then the heated bed itself is toast, although the common issue is that the power transistor (a MOSFET) for that channel dies. If you had the chops you can replace it, but sometimes it is more than just that one part and it is easier to simply replace the RAMPS itself. My vote would be if you have a bad board to follow the instructions in that thread and convert to a generic one (they are 15 bucks US or less all over Amazon). Geof did a helluva write up on that :)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

2nd that vote, whole ramps replacement with the kauffman kit so you get spares and a controller :)

6. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Yes I actually already ordered a generic replacement from Amazon just in case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#nav-search-keywords

I am comfortable with rewiring and I have my own SMD hot air station if needed in extreme cases ;)

Great write up indeed Geof! I love this community!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Okay before I fry something what terminal is positive and negative on the heat bed block? What is the proper way to test the voltage?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Digital multimeters won't care when you hook them up backwards. If it reads negative voltage you are indeed hooked up backwards.

9. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Okay just as suspected I am getting 0 volts on the heat bed and 12 on the extruder. So the next step is to replace the whole RAMPS correct?

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Okay sounds like the optimal plan. I will follow the guide here and post back results: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

Now will the firmware need to be reflashed or is just the RAMPS replacement enough to get back heat bed functions?

Thanks again for the advice Mark and Geof! I'll definitely keep some generic boards on hand after the retrofit just in case this happens again.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no firmware needed. the ramps replacement is just physical parts.

13. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Okay thankfully David at Robo support is covering the stock replacement under warranty:

1x RAMPS 1.4 Shield Electronics w/Stepper Drivers - V4

I still am getting the backup generic RAMPS that way ill have a fix if this happens again with the stock RAMPS. What great support! I am super happy with the forum support and Robo 3d official customer support. Thanks again guys!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

glad to hear they have you situated.