1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Extruder not extruding while printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sd463d, Nov 28, 2016.

1. sd463d

sd463d New Member

Hey guys! So after 6+ months running 5 R1+(s) in my shop. I have finally run across a problem I have yet to see so far.

Okay, so I paused the print for a filament swap and upon restarting the print I heard the all too familiar sound the the Hobb bolt grinding into the filament. My first thought was a jam. I re-paused it and after re-cutting and re-inserting the filament I turned the gear manually with my hand and to my great surprise it smoothly flowed through. My mind then went to the motor next. I then had it extrude 100mm via the control panel (not manual turning of the gear) and again it came out fine. At this point I assumed all was well. Restarted the print and AGAIN it just ground the gear into the PLA as if there was some jam. Why on earth would the motor extrude just fine using the control panel to turn the gearing and not when during an actual print. Very confused. Would love some help. Thanks!

Specs: PLA @ 210°C & standard R1+ hotend.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there do.you use an oiler with pla ? Does the hobbled bolt have correct tension on it and are the teeth clean?

3. sd463d

sd463d New Member

Yes to the oiler. Will reclean teeth when I get home....but if it was the teeth, why would it extrude fine when done via the controls tab and not while during an actual print? Bolt tension? Plz explain :)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Happenstance, luck of the draw.

More likely something else, but worth checking the basics first.

5. sd463d

sd463d New Member

Okay, done experimenting. Very odd results. Not the Bolt, functions fine. Here is how I replicate the problem. Feed the filament, prime it manually using the gear and all is well.....then simply stop feeding the filament for roughly 30 seconds and a clog will have formed. Very confused on this one. Any suggestions?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the hotend fan running ?

7. sd463d

sd463d New Member

I believe it was, but I didn't observe any drop in temperature. Furthermore I've seen these shutdown when the temp of the hot end gets too low.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will not affect temperature in any way you can see. If the fan mounted on the hotend body is not working though, you will have a clog machine due to heat creep.

Nothing indicates the temperature of the hotend cold section.

9. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Dumb question this: how do you check if the teeth are clean? Just a visual inspection?

10. sd463d

sd463d New Member

Your fan comment earlier made me start thinking the same thing. I'm currently stuck @ my day job (engineer by day, 3D print shop owner by night) and will definitely take a look at this when I get home. Thanks for the input! :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, eventually the hobbed section will collect debris even if all is working well.

12. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

To examine the hobbed bolt you unscrew both springed screws and open the tension wheel housing all the way open. Clean with a toothbrush or canned air or both. Turn with big gear so you get the whole bolt.