1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved black abs stripping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Goofynoodle, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

Whats going on is.. before i start the print, i will preheat the nozzle and click extrude..10mm. ..which works fine. even if i hit 100mm...works fine, and at 235c. but 240 seems better. then i click print.... everything looks fine for like 9 layers or so, then whamo....no filament coming out. i cancel and check it out..... stripped filament...happens every time. but only with the gizmo dorks black abs.
    I have been using hatchbox abs exclusively with great results. I decided I wanted black abs one day, but hatchbox was out of stock, so I settled on gizmodorks. so far I haven't been able to print a single thing with it.
    i contacted them and was told to check a variety of settings and the pressure on the hobbed bolt. nothing worked. i printed an oiler and messed with retraction settings, speed, extrusion multiplier, nozzle cleanliness, general extruder cleanliness, ambient room temperature and extrusion temp from 230 to 250c. heat creep is not the issue.... and i went so far as to put a couple nuts on the bolts that have the springs on em that put tension on the bearing that smashes the filament against the hobbed bolt. and loosened the hell out of it too ( cause ya never know). i may be leaving out some stuff i tried already, but if any one has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

#1 Goofynoodle, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Oiler is useless for ABS.
    I hope you mean to add a 1 to that extrusion temperature or ... that is your problem (150c is nowhere near enough)

3. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

good lord....yeah....I meant 235 to 250....since then I tried 260....went better....but still stripped

#3 Goofynoodle, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  4. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

is black ABS typically a pain to work with? I hear people here and there say " yeah black ABS sucks" and stuff, but I cant find anything useful on it.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't in good conscience comment on this at all since I am not an ABS fan of any color or flavor.
    There are too many quirts with getting good prints (IMHO) and too many better (non-PLA) options that work seamlessly.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its possible you have a bum spool causing you grief. BUT like mark says...I dont use ABS on the robo anymore. without a heated chamber its near impossible to have repeatable good results with decent size prints in my opinion.

What does your filament OD measure? Its possible its oversized causing you jamming issues. Using the hexagon on my R1+ anythign over 1.78 pretty much caused me issues at some point or another. The E3D I installed is much more forgiving.

Goofynoodle likes this.
  7. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

I went thru some Black Carbon fiber PLA and now have been printing with nothing but Black ABS since i received my printer. I went with eSuns ABS Plus (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018F586ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for a few prints and then IC3D standard Black ABS (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVOVG5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and everything went fine except some wrinkles that were fixed by adjusting my Z axis to 0.04 and adjusting my extruder flow back to 95%. My heat bed seems to work fine at temps 80 - 84 extruder 230 -240 using purple glue stick NOT hairspray (hairspray caused warped corners for me).

Thats a few pointers that should get you going somewhat smoothly ;)

8. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

CHEESE AND RICE!!!! DODGE RAMMIT!!!! SOOOOO.... Mr. smarty pants.....my filament dia. is measuring i.86, 1.91, 1.95, 1.67 !! and all on a 70mm long section!!!!!!! Wisky Tango Foxtrot!!! this stuff is from Gizmo Dorks.....so guess whos getting another Email from me ..... Gawd....

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yea 1.9 and 1.95 and 1.67 are all way out of spec from their claimed 1.75 +/- .05 lol. Id guess thats part of the problem at least. got another spool of filament layin around?

10. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

Well... I've been using a few colors of hatchbox ABS with no problems. I bought gizmodorks black ABS because hatchbox was out of stock. apparently that was unwise. The only way I can even get a print to work is by cranking the temp to 255 and slowing all moves to 9mm/s with .5 retraction. But even then, I get filament stripping and bad layer adhesion in spots. I've fiddled with all sorts of settings and even the actual spring /screw tension things that clamp the filament against the hobbed bolt. Printed a couple different spool holders thinking that it's just too hard for it to pull the filament off.

11. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is Out Of Spec (OOS) in both directions :)

Geof likes this.
  13. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

Boy howdy! weird thing is that when I manually extrude it, it works fine. I can run 500mm out and no problems....but once I start a print.....usually within the first 5 layers it strips. and to get it to "work" which I use the term loosly.... I have the temp up to 255 and it's making a dull finish. like it's damn near burning the filament.....cooking it. I contacted gizmodorks and am waiting for them to ignore me again... but we'll see.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the one real difference between a 'manual' extrude and a sliced one is the speed of extrusion.

15. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

Ay? wot you on about m8? I thought a manual extrude would be quicker and should cause a problem, where the extrusion as it prints is kinda slow... so out with it... whats going on? I am still learning this confounded thing... so..

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did I say it was slower?

Nope. Didn't think so :)

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can set the print speeds (at least the defaults) for each slicer.
    There are also underspeed and overspeed settings in some of them (usually in %) that can be tweaked.

If the difference really is manual versus sliced speeds then that would let you play with them .

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not to preach about it, but that is a lot of work to get a filament right :)
    If your other brand of ABS was working, GO BACK, FLEE! Toss this one in the bin.
    If ABS in general was failing then consider alternatives.

19. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

its just that brand I think.... just ordered robo black so we'll see.... and on an almost unrelated note...I cant get squat to print when I switch to clic3r or cura in matter control. I just keep it on matter... or whatever the robo matter control default is. I would like to use the others, but it starts doin crazy things... like printing way up in the air, or rendering only half a print.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

both those are engines controlled by mattercontrol (my least favorite slicer of the bunch). The actual Cura is a pretty good slicer, I couldn't use Slic3r (operator issue on that one). Those are the only 3 free slicers I played with before buying one. if you were wanting to try a different slicer I'd install the whole one :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.