1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved dual fan wiring, fans wont work.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Goofynoodle, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

I just printed a dual fan mount, bought a new 40 x 40 x 20? and spliced it onto the stock fans wiring. they both run fine when I manually turn them on, but when i'm printing, they wont come on at all. I manually turned them on during a print and the printer stopped dead, and reported a hardware malfunction. settings are at 100% fan speed, for max... and 10 for min. oh... and I lied, the first print printed 1 and a half layers .... then the fans kicked on.....then it froze up. but since then, every time I try.... no fans.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just a guess but the fans are either 'noisy' with RF that is interfering with the Arduino or drawing too much current for the RAMPS fan output.

3. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

so ..... another weird problem that's unique to me. YAY.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can add a small relay in between the RAMPS output and the fan power, but that will limit you to ON/OFF control. Worth testing if you have a 12v relay handy to see if that sorts it. If it does look for lower power fans :)

Goofynoodle likes this.
  5. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

maybe i'll tinker with the fan speed???? knock it down a bit to lighten the load?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That could certainly help as well. If it does then again -- look for lower current fans.
    If it does not help it is more likely the RF noise.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

40x40x20 fans overpower my 40 watt heater. Are you getting a ltemp fall error in your gcode log? (you'll have to print via USB to get the error log). If so turning them down will def help like Mark says.

8. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

Found the problem.... I made this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1037680 and it.s cooling off my hot end....blows right on it.o_O I preheated it and then turn the fans on and watch it go from 240 to 175 is in like 30 seconds.....but I think the robo knows when something is up and is turning off the hot end. goes slower at 50% fan....but still happens. so...damn.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yep the part cooler needs to blow on part not on the heater :D

10. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

I tried a couple different fan ducts. All were hitting the bed... so this last one...I was surprised to see actually cleared it... but it looks like the front duct touches the hot end and the back one just blows right on it.

11. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

20161129_103706.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Goofynoodle

Goofynoodle Member

took a blowtorch to the ducts.... tweaked the plastic so it deflects more downward. so far loosing only 4 degrees on the hot end....we'll see if it errors out and kills the print in a minute.

mark tomlinson likes this.