1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered USB Connection isn't being recognized

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Owl, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owl

Owl New Member

Hello,

I've had my ROBO 3D R1 Plus for about a month now, but have been out a while due to a family emergency. I've only had about a solid week to play around with this (not my first 3d printer). I am using Matter Control, Windows 10 / 7 (on 2 different laptops) and had some weird issues when trying to print the calibration circle. The USB connection kept dropping in and out from my laptop to the printer - as in, Windows made the 'da-dunk' default USB disconnection sound. It happened multiple times, but finally held a solid connection long enough for me to print the calibration circle successfully.

The next day I came in and plugged the printer in, the same thing happened where Windows made the disconnection sound, however this time it was happening rapidly. 3 times in a second to a few times ever 5 seconds. The cable was laying down, had no stress on it, nothing crimping the cable or jamming it up near the ports. I assumed it was a bad cable anyway, and tried another I knew was in perfect condition. The problem happened just the same. I tried rebooting everything, and eventually another laptop I'd used for printing in the past but experienced the same issue.

At this point after trying to troubleshoot the problem many times, my laptops don't even recognize anything as having been plugged in, when I plug in the printer. Like, nothing at all, even in the device manager. Nothing changes, as if I plugged in a cable with nothing attached at all. I can only assume the USB component in the printer is bad. I haven't done anything to provoke this, no drops or abuse, and I am not sure what I can do about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed?

TL;DR: Both of my laptops will not even recognize anything as having been connected when I plug in my R1+ with different cables.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The only USB component in the printer is the Arduino Mega 2560 control board. That is where the USB cable plugs into.
    If it is faulty you should get in touch with Robo3D support and get a replacement part request in ASAP.

Just make sure you have used a good quality cable (sounds like you have) those can be sneaky.

Owl likes this.
  3. Owl

Owl New Member

I will see what they can do for me. I feel like I can rule out the cable at this point, I am using one from a laser printer (that is being used every day) with the same results. :(

Edit: Thanks for the reply!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I suspect the thing with USB cables is that the Arduino and GCode protocol exchanged is very 'busy' so it is a lot of data over the connection and even an occasional glitch can cause issues.

Your sounds more consistent that an occasional glitch :)

For what it is worth when we have worked with Arduinos where the bootloader died/got corrupted those are the same sort of symptoms you are seeing.

Owl likes this.
  5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I had the same issue early on.
    Robo replaced my board because of a temp issue. Very soon after that board was installed (2 days or so) I started having the same USB issues you are describing.
    I contacted Robo and they suggested to try a new cable first. I did with the same results.
    They then sent me out a new board. All has gone well ever since.

Good luck.

Owl and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Owl

Owl New Member

Thank you very much, I contacted support and am awaiting a reply!

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

A note to add; if you ever need to set your Robo on its side to work on it, clean it, whatever, be sure to unplug the USB cable from the printer. If you lay it on its right side you may damage the board if the plug is still in.

Owl likes this.
  8. Owl

Owl New Member

I just wanted to pop back in for a quick resolution to this thread, I ended up sending my printer back and exchanging it for another one (it was for a company and they really didn't want to afford the time to tinkering with it) and this Robo R1 + is printing like magic. Thanks again for being such an attentive and caring community.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.