1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Trouble with Connecting Tabs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cbale2000, Dec 7, 2016.

1. cbale2000

cbale2000 New Member

I've been working on a project that requires two sets of printed parts to be connected together (but still be removable) without any additional hardware (no screws and such). I've been trying to use the the Push-In Connection Tabs that seem to be popular for 3D Printing, but I keep breaking the ones I made.

Basically when I push the tab into the hole, it's snug at first and then as it gets close the bottom, part of the material yields and, while it fits all the way in the hole, it's now very loose because the part isn't snapping back the way it should. See attached picture, if you look closely you can see where the layers started to separate.

I've attached drawings and models of both the push-in tab and an example of the receiving hole I designed for it.
    The catch is, I've already printed the (rather large) part that has the holes in it so, if possible, I would prefer to only modify the push-in tabs.

I've tried increasing and decreasing the infill and changing the size of the center hole (giving it more or less structural support). Any suggestions on how I can fix this so they don't break?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The issue is the way you are printing them for one thing, material is likely a secondary one.
    For that you want the print lines (the layers) running perpendicular to the stress points. So you should print them on the side.
    Also this is an application for nylon :) You could probably get away with them in the orientation you had (assuming the stress is not too repetitive) if you had printed them out of a nylon blend. Not sure exactly which I would suggest (618 or Alloy910 probably at a guess).

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have printed very few (typically its much cheaper to buy connectors in a lot). I used Taulman 910 like @mark tomlinson suggested and they did perform quite well. I tried pla, abs and petg to not much avail. Its possible an copolymer like XT or NGEN from colorfabb would work well BUT I havent tried a print like that in them (just other mechanical needs prints)

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I only looked at the photo you posted the other files wanted to be downloaded and I'm at work so couldn't do that.
    If I'm off base feel free to ignore me.

Suggestion: if the holes on the large part are too small why not simply run a drill bit through them so your pins/tabs have a little more room?

Again, I didn't look at your other files just the photo.