1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Helping the Newbie.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by narmentr, Jan 10, 2017.

1. narmentr

narmentr New Member

Back in October this forum helped me a bunch as a 3D printing newbie. See thread labeled First Timer from October 18, 2016 (For some reason it wouldn't let me post a link.

I was hoping you might help me with another problem. Several of the machines exhibited the problem mentioned in the above thread with the nozzle smashed into the bed and needed to be offset in the g-code. Those I have up and running. The other issue I am having with several of these printers is that homing the axes puts the nozzle inches above the bed so that when the print starts it just extrudes strings of plastic into the air. Would this problem be approached the same way or is there more to it? It seems like having to set the offset for ten or twelve centimeters would be kind of silly. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Nathan Armentrout

Also, I have one printer that when you home the axes it moves all the way to the left and then starts making god-awful noises like the motor is trying to take it past its stopping point? Would that be a similar problem or a completely different one.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. One at a time lol.
    so during the auto level dance does the nozzle probe the bed in each of the 9 locations or does it start "stair stepping" or raising up and then up again? If yes (regardless probably this) one or both of your z endstops are out of whack or failed. Post some photos of them and we can take a peek.

this one sounds like the switch for the x axis home has failed(or the wiring is loose) or isn't being triggered. Attach a photo of the switch and one of the bolt on the x carriage. The bolt should make contact with the switch when you press home, does it? if it goes to the end and then keeps trying (sounds like it) those would be the only two options :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is because one of your Z axis switches (there are two -- one on each side) is triggering incorrectly.
    Either one triggering makes the printer think it is on the bed. Look carefully at both of them.

This is probably because the endstop for that axis (X? you said left to right so that is a S.W.A.G.) is not getting triggered. It is the same sort of switch as the Z ones mentioned above. Make sure when you move the print head over that the switch is tripping.

Geof likes this.
  4. narmentr

narmentr New Member

Ok. Thank you. It might take me a couple days to get that all sorted but I'll get back to you.