1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Comments on Profile Post by Brandon Quimson

1. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    I am, First question is probably what's your budget?
    Oct 21, 2014
  2. Brandon Quimson
    Brandon Quimson
    Thanks for your reply. My budget can be flexible, I am hoping to stay within $300 if that's possible.
    Oct 21, 2014
  3. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    My first piece of advice is to go with the E3D Kraken for dual bowden. It has height calibration built in, no need for a heatsink fan, and it's smaller height wise than any other option out there. It does have drawbacks. Needing to have a liquid reservoir, and liquid in the hot ends means more weight. It's also quite pricey as compared to say 2 E3Dv6, but has the potential to go to 3-4 extruders later on
    Oct 21, 2014
  4. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    I have 2 carriage designs. My old one, on thingiverse, aligns the nozzles along the X for the E3Dv5. I have a new carriage design I'm putting the final touches on that you can use.

For the cold end, I use planetary geared stepper drivers for a 5:1 turndown. Then I have EZStruders on it, with the hobbed pulley bored out an extra mm to get it over a 6mm shaft (normally 5mm)
    Oct 21, 2014
  5. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    This is quite an expensive option, but it was the smallest form factor and most direct feed I could come up with. In principle you don't need the 5:1 gearing, but with bowden I think it's critical.

The cheap option is to print greg's wade extruders. There's many options out there and you already have one from your printer. Then you just need a new nema17 stepper motor and a hobbed bolt.
    Oct 21, 2014
  6. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    There's some things to think on, we can hash out the details later once you decide what's best. Skype is the best way to get in touch with me if you have quick questions. See my information tab
    Oct 21, 2014
  7. Brandon Quimson
    Brandon Quimson
    thanks i'll get back to you.
    Oct 21, 2014
  8. Brandon Quimson
    Brandon Quimson
    OK it looks like I am going to use 2 E3Dv6 hot ends and hopefully the new carriage that you are finalizing. I prefer not to use the Kraken because I can't take advantage of all 4 extruders, with my RAMPS 1.4 Aurdino Shield. Also, the water cooling on the Kraken looks to be a pain in the neck. Looking forward to your new carriage.
    Also do you have any recommendations for the drive mechanism for the Bowden tube?
    Oct 21, 2014
  9. Mike Kelly
    Mike Kelly
    I talked about it a bit above. Basically it's an option between printing a cold end w/ a hobbed bolt of buying one. Either way you need another nema17 motor
    Oct 21, 2014
  10. Brandon Quimson
    Brandon Quimson
    Yeah I know. What controller board are you using?
    Oct 21, 2014
  11. Mike Kelly
    Oct 21, 2014
  12. Brandon Quimson
    Brandon Quimson
    Okay thanks.
    Oct 21, 2014