1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

30 second print head light install

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ben R, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

picked up an Alpena "domelitz" liteblast l, available through almost anywhere online and all around auto parts stick on junk stores. Stuck it onto the front of the carriage pointing as down and "in" as I could (do not touch area). Contrary to the photo it actually comes with a 2 pin male connector of the same size as those in the ROBO, not female. Just slide it into the back of the cooling fan connector, it should sit snug enough to not fall out or flicker.
    Done.
    Intensely bright but low on power. By not soldering it in, I can just pop the wire if I was worried or trroubleshooting. Of course, You could do it "right". It comes with 4 female sides to connect to various dome lights. that can be clipped and used. But that would take more like 10 minutes.

There are better ways to do this, but not faster.
    [​IMG]

2. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yes zelda?
    avoid american packaging. especially on this. comes with 2 9v batteries, a bunch of adapters...

http://www.banggood.com/2_2W-18-Chi...ing-Light-Dome-Lamp-Bulb-for-Cob-p-82348.html

same place to get your "xxl " for 10 dollars.... and well any 3d printer item I don't need amazon prime for.

If I had half a brain I'd get into the same business as amazon/ebay/techno gadget sellers... buy from alibaba... mark up 1000%, brand.. sell. Instead I just shop almost exclusively at banggood for eBits.
    You can build an entire robo but the plastic from here for a bill

#3 Ben R, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

oh the glare!

Attached Files:

5. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Defendermd
    Can you show a better picture of how you have it mounted and how it is connected to the cooling fan connector
    Thanks, this is a really nice setup

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

So, whatcha lookin at heah...

the thing sticking out in front of the do not touch sticker is the part of the light that extends out. It is butted up against the extruder fan. You can see my wire just lazily looping over into the same fan's power plug. I tossed a couple pieces of old brim onto the unused sticky sticker portion so as not to be annoyed by that sticking to something else later.
    You can also see the excess of my paper towel extruder buffer/bushing. The extruder hex hole was larger than the hex head, so I grabbed the gasket material I had to hand...a paper towel and made a bushing for the extruder. Takes up some slop... used to clack horribly on higher speeds/accelerations.
    light.JPG

7. Robert Choban

Thanks for the picture, I going to have to rethink my setup. I going to have 2 parts fans with shrouds on them, one in the front and the orginal rear mounted parts fan. I going to mount my hot end fan to the left of the extruder. So I'm not sure where to put the light. I like the idea of a light, just have to think about how to mount it.

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I'm curious as to the purpose of extra fans. Bridging is the only thing my fan is ever on for.

9. Robert Choban

Looking at how Galaxius printer is setup? You can look at the post "Galaxius printer". Just going by what other people are doing, not sure how valuable it is going to be? I thought when you printed with PLA the parts fan was needed though out the print?

10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea, fan is important for PLA, but I found pla to be too fragile for most things I want to print. Too fragile or too easily melted. It is good for printing doodads, figurines etc. But I was able to print the "potted groot" with one fan. and his fingers were very thin.

Will 2 fans mitigate the need to have a pause on super thin parts? It won't hurt, for sure. But worth it? I'd have to actually do it to know if it was worth it. Kind of a paradox for me.

11. Robert Choban

what do you print with, have you tried nylon, or colorfabb XT, or some of the newer strong PLA filaments?

12. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

abs mostly, recently got into this PET G... probably mostly that from now on. Its translucent, which isn't necessarily attractive in most instances. But it prints like non warping twice as strong ABS. Fan on, fan off.. it doesn't care.

I have, and have used PET G ABS, PLABS Nylon, Laywood, PLA. Nylon being the only one I haven't conquered, and also the only one I'm hacking. Its string trimmer line. Prints beautifully till it peels up off the bed. Probably not an obstacle I can overcome with this machine and bed. I have gone through several spools of abs, just finishing my first assortment of PLA. Like I said, I use it for printing models for the kids. Not much else.
    Sack boy, groot, mass effect models, things for pathfinder. ITs easily paintable, but I find the layer adhesion not to my liking. Just... brittle.
    But it has its uses.

I have not seen or heard of any new PLA stuffs. I think it could be quite excellent if it had some aggregate in it to maybe add strength and adhesion.