1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3d modeled files not slicing well

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mikethinks, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I made a few quick large files for a project, and they all have square/rectangular flat bottoms, but when they are sliced the slicers do not start with a solid flat bottom, but rather put big gaps leaving about 20% of 1 side empty in a weird triangle and river delta looking mess until 1-2mm up and then try and bridge gaps a wide as 7-9mm and THEN put down several full coverage layers.

Now it actually made the bridging (I mean wow) but it wasnt pretty to watch 3 inch wide gaps filled by loose strings...which were then crosshatched. So it worked but WTH? Ive made sure the bottom is 100% flat, repaired them in netfab and they look fine in the preview renders but all three default MC slicers seem to have some sick desire to prove how great they can bridge!

Is there a known issue or technique to make sure the bottom layer reads as a contiguous layer, cause it looked fine in Blender and netfab.

The file is huge (8mb) so maybe its a resolution thing confusing the slicers?

2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

The only time I have experienced what you described, the bottom was not as flat as I thought. I don't know MC, but in Cura there is an option to slice the bottom off until you have a guaranteed flat initial surface. Also check your raft settings perhaps and, always, initial proximity to the bed. Good luck!

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can slice it for you in Simplify3D and send you the gcode to play with if you want.
    Find a place to host the files (there are a number of choices out there) and let me know.

Sounds like a source file issue though. While not a 3D model expert ... I have found that some work well and other (similar) ones do not. It has more to do with how the model was created.

4. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Well I can tell you the model was created poorly :) But it was created with 100% solid flat bottom. Im pretty sure the file size was the issue, but I'll have to reduce it to see. its just a really strange effect. The print was successful though the bottom is completed fracked.

http://www.combathanger.com/geekthinks/pics/stringy.jpg

(big picture so no imbed)