1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D-Print got twisted

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Retrodiggern, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retrodiggern

Retrodiggern New Member

I tried to print a mouthpiece for tenor saxophone, but halfway through i got knocked over by the printhead. when i took the unfinished part out I noticed that it was slightly twisted and it would still be useless if finished. Does anyone know why that happen and how to prevent it from happening in future prints?

this is the model I used: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24519

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, pictures.

It may have come unstuck from the bed before it fell completely loose--maybe it moved some while printing.

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Re level your extruder head to the bed. Most likely the head is hitting the part knocking it over. This happens when your head is too high off the bed. Lower it a touch and compare prints.

Another issue is support and how well it sticks to the bed. The extruder head can touch the part, laying down the material,
    But if the part is loose on the bed, it's gonna move out of the way and screws things up. Re-apply hairspray or whatever you use.

I just saw the part and you might need support to print it in that orientation. Yo could also try to print it on it's side or with support.
    Another option is to slice that thing in two, and glue the parts together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

#4 Peter Krska, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Make with the pictures. I'm curious to hear what twisted means.

I would never print a model like that with support. It should be fine without. Might get a little stringy at that one internal lip, but better a little stringy there than having to remove support material from inside a structure like that.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

That's why I suggested to make sure to stick that print real good to the bed. It probably was loose and moved at some point making it worse over time. I wonder why he didn't post the pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

7. Retrodiggern

Retrodiggern New Member

Here is some pictures of it image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#7 Retrodiggern, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Well, that's really weird. I don't think I've seen that before. Can't think of a mechanical cause for a twisted print like that. I'm assuming other prints work out normal for you, right? Did you preview it before printing? want to post the gcode?

The model is pretty screwed up. I'll play around with slicing it as-modeled and then after repair to see if maybe that's part of the issue.

As for why it was knocked loose from your print bed, it looks like that inner wall did not have enough cooling time. and the PLA was cooling up a little at that point. If you're printing with a heated bed, you might want to try printing with it off. That might be enough. If not, you'll need to do some combination of lower printing temp, ducted cooling fan (galxius put a good one on thingiverse), and/or slower min layer time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.