1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D Printed R2D2!

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by ChaosCoreTech, Feb 1, 2016.

1. ChaosCoreTech

ChaosCoreTech New Member

Hello everyone! My name is Garrett and I'm new here. So I thought I'd introduce myself with a project I did a little over a month ago. You can check it out here:

I've also got some other projects on YouTube, but my R2-D2 is by far the biggest and most popular. I designed it in Tinkercad, then I printed it on my Robo 3D R1 (not plus). It was printed in PLA at 0.3mm layer height. Then it was painted using acrylic paints. It is held together mostly with screws. I also added electronics into it. It's not fully complete yet, but I did have the head turning and an LED flashing. I wasn't able to get the motors moving him, but I have plans to upgrade him soon so he can actually move around. The files to print him are listed here (Thingiverse): http://bit.ly/1ZcP1Rr

Let me know what you think!
    Garrett :)

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Garrett...huge props on using Tinkercad on designing the R2D2. I was amazed watching your timelapse of the design process. Glad to see you are starting to use Fusion 360 as well. Saw your channel mentioned by SparkyFace5 on her ninja turtle video she just put out. I just did a shout out in the ShoutBox for this video and later saw this post. I can't wait to see what else you do. My son likes your prints of the Minecraft and PvZ characters as well. Keep up the great work and welcome to the forum. Can't believe you have had your printer since 2014 and just now joined the forum this year.

3. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

That is really nice! Props on making it really look great.

4. 3D Printer Man

nice job man

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Subscribed to your channel, love the Fusion tutorials.

6. 3D Printer Man

About how much material did it cost?