1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 3D Printer Stopping Halfway Through Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by EJP, Jan 23, 2020.

1. EJP

EJP New Member

My R1+, which I’ve had for a while and has been working just fine until recently, has started to stop at some point during a 3D print. I start a print and it will work just fine but then I come back at some point and the printer has stopped printing. The lights on it turn off and my computer says it is still connected to it, but the printer does not respond to it. Does anyone have a solution or an idea of the problem?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Capture the GCode terminal for a session where this happens and save it to a text file and upload it.
    Probably the firmware is killing it because it thinks the thermistor is reading MAXTEMP (which would be bad if it were true) so it shuts everything off. It could also be MINTEMP error on the thermistor which would generate an error like:

"Temperature fell too much during print!"

and it would kill the print.

3. EJP

EJP New Member

I tried to run another print, I am going to attach the Gcode terminal. This time the printer stopped during the print, but the light stayed on and it responded to my computer. Mattercontrol still thought the print was going on after the printer had stopped. The gcode showed an error, “Your printer is reporting a hardware Error. This may prevent your printer from functioning properly.

Error Reported: “Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)”.”

What does this mean and what should I do?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is silly and I wish Marlin would fix it.
    If you look hard enough you will find an error "Temperature Fell too much during print"

The M999 is not "the error" is is marlin telling you that "an error occurred and I already told you about it"
    Duh.. why not repeat the ACTUAL error.

Any way, look and see -- I bet that is your error and it is in the FAQ thread.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119221

But make sure that is the real error.

5. EJP

EJP New Member

Yes, the Gcode says that is the error.

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [2350.948]

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

good, that is in the faq. It is almost always a bad or loose thermistor.

7. EJP

EJP New Member

How can I tell if it is bad thermistor and Where would I get a new thermistor for my printer?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Either it is loose or it has a loose connection or it is bad. You can check to see if it is loose in the heater block or if the connection is loose.