1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D printing for Dummies

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tompeel1, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Now i know there is a fantastic resource link here kindly posted by BjG however for 3d "n00bs" i figured it would be a good idea to get the full process list from 3D design software like Google Sketch up Etc.. to the Slicing program and the G code converters.

From start to sending the files to our shiny new Robo3D

I for one would be very grateful!

2 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Boiled down to the simplest sequence of interactions with programs (i.e. ignoring the steps you will have to do to load filament, level build plate, pre-heat, etc)

1) Get a file using some combination of:
    -Download from thingiverse, grabcad, etc
    -design it yourself with your favorite CAD or modeling program (SolidWorks, Blender, SketchUp, FreeCAD, etc)
    -Get it from a 3D scanning program
    -Have someone do it for you

2) If its not already done, export the file to STL format.

3) Slice it using your slicing program of choice. I'm thinking I'll probably be using Cura, but there are quite a few choices.

4) Print!

There are a number of possible steps in between 3 and and 4 depending on your exact setup, but that's the gist of it. I'm guessing the robo guys will send out a recommended slicing programs and some suggested setup/first print parts.

3 people like this.
  3. DavidZ

DavidZ New Member

Hi Printer Solid.

I understand that there's no need to understand about arduino and those things to go straight from the slicing program to the machine? I'm industrial designer, I have no problem with the 3D generation, but I have no idea how the 3D printing is processed.

Does it work as a CNC machine, where you need a particular postprocessor (custom for your particular machine) in the program? Is it provided? or can it go straight from the slicing to the machine?

Any help will be.... very helpful indeed.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi David,
    Welcome!
    You'll go straight from slicing to the machine with a piece of software that manages the communication. The piece of software that manages the communication will also interface with the slicer. I listed Cura above. It uses a simplified version of Skeinforge as the slicer (which contains TONS of options), but you never actually see the slicer, so its a good choice for a new user.

The slicer generates your GCode. Some types of firmware require postprocessing, but I believe that the Robo should be able to take the GCode directly. They are using the Marlin Firmware, which is common across many machines, so most of the free open source software out there should work just fine.

5. DavidZ

DavidZ New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

That shouldn't be too complicated then.

The question now is... how long would it take for the machine to be shipped if ordered now? I know that first printers are being shipped soon for kickstarter backers... what about new buyers? that's probably one for the Robo3D team...

6. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

According to their website store, estimated delivery will be August 2013

7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I can get more info on this for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.