1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 3D prints have no top solid layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by coombs, Mar 11, 2015.

1. coombs

coombs New Member

I don't know what I've done wrong, but all of a sudden, my prints don't have solid top layers. I set the printer to the default "Medium" settings, and it prints the object fine, but it doesn't do the top layers as solid. You can see the infill pattern through the top of the item. Have a look at the picture attached. I print a spool holder and you can see the infill pattern throughout the top layer of all areas (not just the very top of the z axis).

Attached Files:

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You just need to print more top layers. I find 1.2mm worth to generally be good. If you are using MatterControl I first recommend trying Cura. Secondly just change the top/bottom layer to whatever multiple gets you up to around 1.2mm.

As an aside and most likely not the case here. I once turned the acceleration way down to see what it would be like. The machine sounds a lot better, but its ability to bridge goes way down and the top layer needs to be quite thick or the infill % high to get the visual quality back up.

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Oh and make sure you click save after you change the number of layers. Why MatterControl makes you click save with each change is a head scratcher.

Mike Kelly likes this.