1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D Scanners

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Steve K., May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Are there any members who have a 3D scanner? Any problems using it with the Robo? What scanners are recommended?

2. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I'm on the hunt for a good scanner as well. Can anyone recommend a good quality, reliable scanner? Price isn't really a consideration as I'm willing to pay for quality hardware etc. thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

4. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Steve the link seems to be broken :(. If you are talking about the cubify sense, I followed that on kickstarter but decided against it because it's finer details capability wasn't all that great. It would be great for scanning larger objects but for things like a mechanical fitting or small part it didn't stack up.

I will probably end up buying something like the sense for larger objects but would really like to find a scanner that will allow me to scan small things.

The way it works in my head is, why should I pay $1 an item at the local hardware store for a garden fitting when I can buy 1, scan it and then print as many as I want for a few cents..... Now all I need to do is find the scanner that can scan in high res :)

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Rick ....search the web for MATTER FORM.. I think you can find it there,

Steve

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I have a David SL-1 scanner. It is powerful, flexible, and accurate. It uses a structured light scanning method. A projector displays a series of grid patterns on your object. A camera captures the images and the software calculates the curvature of the object being scanned to generate a model. You do this several times around the model and use the software to stitch all of the scans together into a watertight printable model. The flexibility comes into play with the projector. You can adjust size of the projected image to be able to scan just about anything. If you're really into the idea of scanning and don't mind spending some time learning I highly recommend this model.

Honestly, I don't use it much anymore. I'm pretty comfortable in CAD and tend to be able to design most things faster than I can scan them. If anyone is interested in buying it, I'd sell for quite a bit less than what they have it listed for sale for now.

7. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Well I just went and purchased the matter form, thanks Steve, looks good.... If it ever arrives I will do a review. $633.85 including shipping to New Zealand wasn't too bad at all :)

2 people like this.
  8. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

I purchased one several days ago. We will have to compare notes once we get it. You live in New Zealand?

9. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I have been waiting over a year for that since they offered it on Indiegogo.

Cost then 429CAD

10. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

We all can cancel the orders anytime we want to if we find something better

11. fabrice

fabrice New Member

Bonjour voir scaner fuel 3D OU Matterform pas mal

12. miaxix888

miaxix888 New Member

This thread has not been on for a while , but i'm looking for a 3d scanner. Any recommendation for a 3d scanner ?

13. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Ive looked around, and from what I can tell they are all pretty much useless for any kind of detailed scanning unless you spend 5k. The quality is so poor that it would be better to buy the cheapest POS you can and just use the rough scan it will give you as a base to edit.

If there are any good ones under 1k I havn't seen them.

14. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What is the difference in components in the expensive ones? Is the laser more powerful or is there some sort of extra component that allows for the greater detail? Perhaps you could get that part to make a cheaper one better. It's a matter of understanding the technology. More to learn!

15. miaxix888

miaxix888 New Member

what do you recommend for a cheap POS brand ?

16. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I really haven't gone deep enough to recommend any particular one. I take a look when I see a new one and get annoyed when I see its quality just kinda isn't what I need :( Much of it depends on what you want to scan. Again, anthing even approaching sun 1k is pretty much craptastic IMHO

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

18. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

My kinect is working but I still want a turn table to scan an object to see how well it does. I had my wife turn while I held the Kinect and it looked pretty good.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might be biased ;)

Ya, it wants a turntable. You can find a cooking one (for use in a microwave oven) fairly cheap.

20. MakeJeff

MakeJeff New Member

I was looking for a 3d scanner as well.
    followed a lot of googles.
    stumbled into this page

http://www.aniwaa.com/3d-scanners/compare-3d-scanners/

and I bought one.
    +'s precision. price. color. (importing into a 3D game as a 2nd use)
    -'s long delivery time. 6.5" max (that's what she said)
    I'll post scans when it comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.