1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved .

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Preston Hunsaker, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Preston Hunsaker

Preston Hunsaker New Member

#1 Preston Hunsaker, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If the two are close enough together a little bit of more retraction may help with the line between the two, It is usually the result of just a bit of oozing from the nozzle as the piece moves from one item to the next. It will also appear on single models that end up with separate sections as you move up the model.

Preston Hunsaker likes this.
  3. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

I would make sure the part cooling fan is on full speed while printing PLA (after the first layer if your software will allow it). I haven't had the strings or lines issue so much with PLA, but I have with PETG. The remedy for PETG was to first make sure my extruder was calibrated properly, and then adjust the retraction after I knew for sure that the extruder speed was correct. There's a Tom's Guide for calibrating the extruder.

Other possible causes of the strings would be printing at too high a temperature, printing at the wrong speed, and having a partial blockage in the nozzle. Start with the easy things first--lower your print temp a couple degrees and see if the situation improves. If you get to 5 degrees below recommended print temp and you are still having the issue, then go back to the normal print temp and try changing the print speed up/down and see what effects you get.

Oh, and it is really important to take into account the actual measured diameter of the filament and have this value set as the filament size/diameter in whatever software you use. This will impact the amount that is actually being extruded through the nozzle. Most of my PLA actually measures 1.71mm or so--not 1.75mm. Any inexpensive (preferably digital) caliper will get you the measurement you need. Having the correct filament size can magically clear up several problems that may occur.