1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A few questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Clayton, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Clayton

Clayton Member

I am waiting on a replacement board for my new ROBO3DR1+ printer.
    Looking at images of how the RAMPS board should be wired shows the output for the fan on D9 and the hotend on D10. If these where reversed would it blow up the board? It looks like mine has small wires on D10 and thicker wires on D9. I've went through a few boards now and I want to make sure I don't blow up another one.
    Also, is there anything that could be connect wrong/reversed besides the wires for the power supply and stepper driver boards being plugged in backwards that would cause the RAMPS board to malfunction?

A Picture is worth a 1000 words. If anyone would be willing to post a picture of there board all wired up that would help me I think.

I want to do it by the book and am afraid of blowing it up the second I plug it in. I know this board is pretty strait forward and not that complicated but so far I've not had the best luck. I now have 4 arduino boards and 3 RAMPS boards in a pile.
    Anyone here diagnose/repair RAMPS and or Arduino boards? I hate to see these boards go to waste. Let along my money...

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Makes sense.

D10 -> extrduer heater core
    D9 -> Parts fan
    D8 -> bed heater

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given the cost of RAMPS and Arduino Mega boards (sub $20) there is not a lot of value to be recovered in repairing them.
    I have repaired a few, but it is not worth my time :)

Are you sure your boards are all in fact... bad? test them off of the printer.
    Hook up a 12v power supply and test away. You can load the BLINK program from the Arduino compiler to check the basic functions on the Arduino and there is a good chunk of code you can google* for that exercises the inputs/output on the RAMPS as well.
    Connect the two boards, connect 12v, load that tester code instead of the firmware and run it to test the RAMPS/Arduino together.

*http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPSTestCode.pde

4. Clayton

Clayton Member

Thanks man. That will at least get me started. The Arduino board will let me upload firmware without problem so its not completely fried if at all.
    I'll have to mess with them after I get my printer back up and running. I just got a raspberry PI board with the wifi dongle that I want to incorporate so I can have a camera and access it through the internet. I'm getting a little afraid after all the trouble I've had lately so maybe I'll just leave that alone for a minute and get some printing done. Thanks for the help and advice.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. They are both sturdy board and normally the only parts that get fried on the RAMPS are the output MOSFETS (Q1, Q2, Q3) that drive the main outputs (D8/9/10). Sure they can be replaced.