1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A question about using an LCD controller on my 3D R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Im getting ready to install the xxl controller and I have a question. I know I can load an STL file to the memory card and print directly from that. I'm just not too clear on when I hear people say you have to load the G code first then you can print from the memory card. I'm using Mattercontrol on my Mac so I'm unclear on how this will work.

Can someone give me a quick "how to" when it comes to downloading an STL file from thingiverse and making the file work on a memory card for my controller?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can't load a STL to the memory card and print that as the machine would have no understanding of what that is.

For an LCD, take out the SD card and plug it into your computer with an SD card reader. In mattercontrol slice the object and tell it to export the gcode. Then save that gcode file onto the SD card. Eject the drive and plug it back into the LCD. From there you go to print from SD and select the gcode file you just uploaded to the card

3. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Perfect. Seems pretty straight forward.