1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A question with using an LCD controller with my 3D R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I bought the an LCD controller from reprapdiscount to use with my 3D R1. After going through hell and back, I finally got the whole firmware modified so the printer could be used with the controller. I originally ordered the XXL controller which is suppose to work with the stock firmware. That all got thrown out of the window when riprap sent me the wrong damn controller. So I'm just going to use what was sent to me and make the best of it.

Here's my question: Can I still use the USB connection to my Mac once I install the LCD controller? I ask because in order for me to hook up the smart connector below, I have to unplug a connector that looks like it might go to the USB side of things. Obviously the connector that I have to unplug does something and I'm wondering if that's the case.

Here's a pic of the smart connector. The short section that's on the right hand side takes the spot where the other connector would normally be plugged in to.

http://www.reprapdiscount.com/112-thickbox_default/full-graphic-smart-lcd-controller.jpg

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The connector you unplug is for the SD card reader that is on the Robo, it isn't for the USB.

Since the LCD controller has an SD card holder as part of it, it has to replace the Robo one.

And yes, you can still USB connect with your computer with the LCD add-on. The main purpose of the LCD add-on is so that you can save sliced parts on your SD card and run them without the computer though.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  3. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Great info that makes perfect sense. Thanks.