1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved A success story! (COLD-end clog fixed)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ShutterBun, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ShutterBun

ShutterBun New Member

Hi all, I just wanted to thank the community and Robo's support staff for helping me resolve a somewhat unusual situation, and to pass on my story for others who might run into it.

A couple of weeks ago, my PLA prints began continually jamming after about 20 minutes of printing. I would clear the clogs in the usual way (remove hex extruder, pull out filament with pliers, etc.) then one day, that stopped working. I had a clog WITHIN the cold-end. (this is the aluminum vented portion of the extruder, which, as its name suggests, is supposed to remain cool.

I found MANY resources online for clearing hotend clogs (super-heating, guitar string, etc.) but none of those seemed to work. I removed the extruder again and discovered the culprit: the entire tube was full of solid filament!
    [​IMG]

I eventually discovered the reason for the clog: the small (about the size of a quarter) fan on the side of the cold-end had failed due to a broken solder on one of its wires. I was able to repair the fan, but I still needed to clear the clog!

With the help of Robo tech support, who pointed me to an excellent video of the Hex Extruder assembly (which I more or less followed in reverse) I was able to take the extruder apart, and using a small 1mm drill bit on a Dremel tool, clean out the cold-end tube. Re-assembled the extruder, put everything back together, and now we're printing again!

I share this story for 3 reasons: first, to thank the community and Robo's support for their help, second, to help anyone who may possibly run into a similar situation, and third to make a point about the state of 3D printers today:

Clearly, at this stage of the game, 3D printers are primarily a "hobyist's" tool, as opposed to a "plug and play" appliance. Don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and start tinkering. Indeed, it behooves any owner of a 3D printer to know the basics of disassembling their machine, because, well, "stuff happens." I was nervous about messing with a delicate and somewhat expensive piece of equipment, but this community gave me the confidence to do it myself.

Thanks! And I hope my story helps others.

Frankn and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is really true for almost all 3D printers that don't cost 10x as much at this stage -- regardless of brand.

3. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Just an fyi. The cold end is the part that is actually pushing the filament into the hotend. The "coldend" that you are referring is the heatsink which is part of the "hotend". The cold end on a stock robo is the Greg's Wade Extruder. The whole assembly you have in your hand is the hotend. I have included 2 pictures. The first one is the hotend. The 2nd is a cold end. Not trying to be a dick or anything. If it comes off that way I apologize. Just wanting to let you know which is which. Knowledge is powerful. This way you don't get confused in the future or anything. Good job on fixing the clog though.

ShutterBun likes this.
  4. jbigler1986

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and to totally confuse things there is a cold section of the hotend.
    Because, you know, consistency.

6. jbigler1986

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. ShutterBun

ShutterBun New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought about it earlier, when someone mentioned "the heatsink on the hotend" I thought...hmmm, I bet I got that wrong.

Anyway, seems like my point came across, and thanks again to the community!

8. ShutterBun

ShutterBun New Member

Not dickish at all, very helpful. I had a feeling I was using the term incorrectly, thanks for setting me straight. Cheers!

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Common terminology is a huge challenge for newer users.
    We are all talking about the same things, but in different ways.

10. Frankn

Frankn Member

I kind of talk in pictures to describe that unit, the extruder.
    I look at it as 3 parts, the hot end, which has the heater, the heat break, which in the hollow connecting threaded tube and the finned cooling tower ( that's the picture talk part at top).
    When mine clogs, usually on long prints of 6 hours or more run for several days, I cook it by unpluging the thermisitor and preheating it till smoke comes out the nozzle. I let it cool remove the nozzle and run a 5/64" drill in both ends of the cooling tower and heat break. I then insert a welding rod That has been dipped into copper disk break pad lube. That lube can take the heat. I then remove the rod. I usually just replace the nozzle. They are cheap.
    Just my odd opinion, Frank.

#10 Frankn, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015