1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A word to the wise or maybe not

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

For those of you who are toying with or already do use gcode files for prints to keep from having to re-slice some of those larger prints or maybe help others by testing their slic3r settings on your setup, bear in mind that the first layer and other layer temps get carried across right along with everything else and you need to go into the code to adjust things if you need to alter temperatures.

If I had remembered that I probably would not have wasted 5 hours of print time on four failed prints and the associated filament failed simply because the filament was too cold too extrude

OK all together now....

DOOHHHH!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

:)

Any suggestions on a good GCode editor? Something contextt sensitive and not costing a first-born?

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Gcode is simply text so any good text editor would work just make sure it saves as simple ascii text and you should be good. I actually edited the code the messed me up today right in the Gcode window it is availble to edit right there until you run the print then it appears to get locked down with no more changes that go to the printer I believe you can still edit and things there but would have to wait to start a new print to see them

4. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

DOH! Hope testing for me didn't screw you up!

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope I would love to lay the blames elsewhere but it was ALLLLLL ME had a complex print that took at least 40 minutes to slice and then saved the gcode and tehn printed it in a different filament that required a hotter temp and just forgot to change the temp settings.

I set them in repetier just fine though...LOL

6. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

I've had that happen a few times, after processing the g-code I remember a setting and want to punch something haha

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

making the mistake in the needing to go cooler is is survivable nothing will break or clog you end up with a just not as clean or precise print as you can adjust those setting downwards at any time

but the inverse can cause big issues with the filament that stops being extruded because it is not hot enough could actually break things in teh extruder housing as unused filament can actually begin coiling around inside teh extruder housing until it forces its way out in some way that is not good or it can casue a blockage to form in the hot end which could mean disassembly or other major pains in the a$$ LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.