1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

About materials -

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Jan 26, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Still new to design and 3D Printing.

I need a material that will stand up to hot water and detergents. Dishwasher environment. Very little physical stress.

This may be beyond printable (plastic) parts.

So far of the materials I have on hand, PETG looks like a viable candidate, in that it will not dissolve or meltdown under those conditions, or, AFAIK, leach harmful substances. However it has a "Heat Deflection Temperature" of 158 F or 70 C, which indicates it begins to soften a bit at that point.

Also, the material I have is labeled "PETG glass" from MakerBot. Their site does not call out anything by that label, only listing PETG. Is there a difference?

What material might be better for such an application?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, so you need high heat deflection which really rules out PET or PETG.

BluPrint would be better (heat deflection is 110c) or Polycarbonate (most of those are 150c) plus Polycarb is strong.

Ultimately you should probably consider an epoxy resin coating for it which will prevent and small crevices from collection bacteria.

Your call.

You can use the chart to help sort options:

https://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

I'd go with BluPrint, but you can probably get PolyCarb cheaper

3. joea

joea Active Member

Thanks. Don't think I knew of those two. The suggestion about coating is also something I had not considered. And that way I do not have to be concerned about base coloring <g>.

4. joea

joea Active Member

The suggestion about coating is also something I had not considered. And that way I do not have to be concerned about base coloring <g>.

However, seems Bluprint is no longer available at first search. I suppose the "super" Nylons, are not suited due to water absorption? Alloy 910 looks interesting as well.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Alloy910 is a good material for strength and ease of printing, but not so great for heat deflection (glass transition at 82c)...
    PolyCarb is easy enough to find and certainly has the best heat deflection too.