1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS presets for Cura and the R2?

Discussion in 'Filament' started by supercazzola, Jul 22, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I am new, so forgive my ignorance.

I tried to print a very simple box, using Robo ABS, with raft, but in draft quality. I couldnt get the ABS to stick to the heated bed. One thing I noticed is that it would stick on the single line pass across the front. But it seems then Robo waits for the printer bed to heat up (I think it was from 60 to 80 C). Why doesn’t the firmware heat the bed up to 80 first, since it should know it is ABS so that as soon as it is done with the initial line, it starts the print?

I made sure I selected ABS in Cura.

What temp settings and or speed are you using for your ABS? Have you tried to print ABS in draft 0.2mm mode? Perhaps that preset is too quick?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. I am not even sure I know where to change / set temps? Is it in the G-code, or somewhere on the printer itself?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Temperatures are normally set in the slicer when you generate the Gcode

supercazzola likes this.
  3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I also found Robo's startup Gcode to be stupid with these generic temps. I've removed the startup Gcode in Octoprint and use this in Cura:

Code:
    ; START GCODE

; Set to millimeters
    G21
    ; Set to absolute mode
    G90
    ; Zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; Turn off fans
    M107
    ; Start heating bed
    M140 S{material_bed_temperature}
    ; Home all axis
    G28
    ; Probe for bed autolevel plane
    G29
    ; Pause for 2 seconds
    G4 S2
    ; Move bed down 15mm
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; Move to front left corner
    G1 X1 Y1 F7200
    ; Start heating extruder - optional, save some time
    M104 S{material_print_temperature}
    ; Wait for bed to finish heating if necessary
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature}
    ; Wait for extruder to finish heating if necessary
    M109 S{material_print_temperature}
    ; Move bed to printing position
    G1 Z0.3
    ; Print 190mm priming line
    G1 X190 E15.0 F500
    ; Move bed down
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; Zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; Set movement speed
    G1 F7200

; end of START GCODE

To change temps in Cura you need to switch from "recommended" mode to "custom", and temps will be in the "Material" section. For a more permanent edit for a given filament type you can go in Settings->Materials and change the temps that will auto load when you select that material.

The 0.2 preset works for me, but I switch to a large (15-20mm or so) brim instead of the raft.

supercazzola likes this.
  4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

@Kilrah I like how you use the commands to start the bed temp and return to the next command before it is reached early in the script. Then how you set the extruder temp and return to the next command (which is to wait for the bed temp to reach target temp, if it is already not there), then set the extruder temp and wait there until it is reached. This is very slick!

Is there a reason this script could not be part of octoprint? Is it because it wouldn't know the desired temps from the properties of the material?

thanks

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can pass variables from the program printing to the script. All of the slicers/host programs support that.
    Just not sure off the top how OctoPrint does this. In some like Simplify3D this is done this way:

M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; tool 0 temp

Where extruder0_temperature would be replaced with the temperature you set for that extruder when it does the slice (e.g. 210) so that the actual generated GCode would be:

M104 S210 T0;

Looks like in OctoPrint or maybe it is Cura doing this ... it is:

{material_print_temperature}

Betting that is a Cura script :)

supercazzola likes this.
  6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Correct.

As far as I know Octoprint can't read a temp from the file, so no way to do an equivalent in Octoprint. Has to be done in the slicer, which does know about the configured material settings and is thus able to set the temp accordingly.

supercazzola likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sense as OctoPrint is merely the host program and not the slicer. IIRC it can use the Cura slicer, but it is NOT the slicer.