1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved ABS Stops Extruding at Random Points in a Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sekwel, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Sekwel

Sekwel New Member

I've been printing for a few weeks on the R1 Plus with no issues I couldn't handle. This is the first one that's got me confused, and it may be because I'm not familiar with this type of extruder.

I've been printing in ABS with the hot end in the neighborhood of 240 degrees. Recently, the printer stops extruding filament at random times throughout the print. As far as I can tell, there's no loss of heat. The hobbed bolt did end up with a lot of chewed filament in/around it. But I assume that is because it attempted to extrude after the initial stop.

I have no clue what's causing this. As near as I can tell, my nozzle isn't clogged (and I've cleaned it out several times just to be sure) and no drops in temperature are apparent. This may end up being a simple fix, but I have no idea. Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check the comm log and see if any errors are raising their ugly heads.

3. Sekwel

Sekwel New Member

Okay, problem solved. Turns out it was a particularly stubborn clog in the hotend. I would get extrusion when simply asking the printer to extrude, but during a print it would quickly stop. I'd seen similar behavior linked to other problems (and spent a day attempting to treat the nozzle for clogs) so I didn't suspect a clog. I just had to take a blowtorch to the nozzle, remove the blockage, and problem solved.

mark tomlinson likes this.