1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS weird printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Darkhunter12, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkhunter12

Darkhunter12 New Member

Hi guys,
    Whenever I print with ABS my first layer comes down weird, I am printing at a good temp 87 degrees (dosent warp) with kapton tape. While its printing its first layers its like there is air bubbles in between. Ill attach photos so you can see :)
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. sal

sal New Member

Are your fans on? They should be off foe ABS. You also might be to far from tape for first layer. Do you have an offset? are you using auto level?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The bubbles might be due to moisture absorbed by the filament. That causes bubbling in the filament when it prints (the water vaporizes).
    You can 'dry' the filament by baking it (some discussion over here: http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1556)

EDIT: I have some filament that has done this, but it never was bad enough to affect the printed output significantly. I dried it and it went away.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You're talking about the ripples, right? I don't think that's a fan or moisture issue. ABS with excess moisture prints with tiny little bubbles all over. Bake the filament and it goes away.

I'm not 100% sure what causes those ripples, but know of two potential causes.
    One is that you have 'dirty' spots on your tape. By dirty I mean some fine contamination on the surface. Finger prints are a good example. Give the tape a thorough scrubbing with alcohol or acetone if it's handy. This seems to come through even if you're coating the bed with hairspray or ABS slurry.

The other possible cause is that your nozzle is just a hair too low. You build up a little back pressure in the nozzle due to attempting to extrude too much. As the pressure builds and relieves, you get those ripples.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.