1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by laxmidi63, Jan 6, 2017.

1. laxmidi63

laxmidi63 New Member

I've been having trouble with a green abs roll i just bought. It is from Robo and always peels. I've tried: lowering and raising extruder temp, lowering and raising bed temp, Lots of hairspray, little hairspray, lots of glue, little glue, rotation prints, infill percentages, ect. Nothing seems to work so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some tips. Thank You.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

ABS is extremely environment sensitive. This is why the recommendation is to print it in an enclosed, heated chamber :)
    Clearly the Robo is lacking on that. Can you still print it? Yes, I printed only ABS for over a year.

It. Just. Takes. Fiddling.

I finally got wise to the fact that ABS has no properties (as a material) that I needed which were not also available in another, easier to print, filament.

So. Things to try:

1) run the bed temperature hot. 110-115 is the best I found
    2) no airflow around the printer. None. No fans in the room, block it off as much as you can from the print bed.

This is why @Printed Solid and @Mike Kelly (mike designed it and Matt sold it) had the enclosure:

https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/robo-3d-safety-enclosure-kit

This helps isolate the environment from the printer

Keep at it and you can get it to print, but it is so very picky...

laxmidi63 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even if you do all of this you will still have issues.
    Another thing to try is to find the lowest extrusion temperature that allows the ABS to flow free and use that.
    This reduces the amount of heat you are trying to manage in the print and will cut down on the tendency to lift and warp.

Something I did that also helped was to use directed heat. An IR heat lamp aimed at the model printing did actually help, but you need to get it out of the way of the print bed and aimed so that it is fairly even over the model.

laxmidi63 likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is an example:

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:90476

This was 90% ABS (a few small bits were not). So you can see it is printable.
    Did we still get some curl? Yes, but we made it work with that model :)

laxmidi63 likes this.