1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

AC Power Connector issue.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Yeh, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Robo 3D really should step up their quality control.

My AC power rocker switch failed. Can't turn off the printer, no matter how I tried.

Pulled out the connector to check the wiring and found that one of the wire (blue) got disconnected. In addition, the crimp connector (top of the black socket) to the blue wire came off.

I'm contacting Robo 3D regarding this.

In the mean time, does anyone know which connection it should be attached to (one on top, and the other one to the right of the blue wire)?

Attached Files:

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Paul,
    My switch assembly is different than yours so I can't tell from that photo. If you can post a better photo, more of the back of the assembly that will help. You could just reason out where it goes by following the paths from the outside plug's Hot, Neutral and earth ground. That light blue wire should be Neutral for Chinese and Eu wiring. In the US it would be white. In the image below Black is Hot, White is Neutral and Green is earth ground.

[​IMG]

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

When following the wiring in that module remember there is a fuse in addition to the rocker switch in it.

4. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Steve, thanks for the quick response. It's highly appreciated.

I'm in California, but the wire colors do not match US wiring code. I have uploaded more photos.

Blue ==> PSU ground
    Brown ==> PSU Neutral ==> Line In (or White in the diagram of your post.)
    Yellow/Green ==> PSU Line In ==> SW1 of Rocker Switch

The fuse is in the middle with a long metal bar at the bottom connecting to Line In (Black according to your diagram.)

There is a marking "E" near the Line In Green connection.

I believe the blue wire should be connecting to the Line In Earth (the one opposite to the yellow/green wire).

Just to be safe, I'll wait till Robo 3D's confirmation before I connect the blue wire to anything, unless someone who has similar color wire connections can show me their working connections.

Once again, thanks!

Attached Files:

• AC4.jpg
      AC4.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • AC3.jpg
      AC3.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • AC2.jpg
      AC2.jpg
      File size:
      934.1 KB
      Views:
    • AC1.jpg
      AC1.jpg
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
  5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Paul, Thanks for the new photos. It is very clear now. Yes you have it correct. That Blue wire is Earth Ground and goes to the middle chord lug (with the E next to it). When I got my printer in November one of the wires pulled right out like yours and I took them all off and properly recrimped new lugs on them. I would do this if I were you. I would also reattach all the screw terminal connectors on the RAMPS board. I tinned mine with solder before screwing them in.

Those funny wire colors have been discussed before on this forum but I could not find the posts with it's wonderful search capability. The PSU wire colors match no standard that I could find.

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot to mention that that other lug on the left is the unused terminal of the rocker switch.

7. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Steve, Thanks for the quick confirmation!

On my AC4 photo I see that there are two strains of wire from the yellow/green hanging out. I will find time tomorrow to re-solder those wires, re-attach them to the sockets, then put them back.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They use EU/China color codes.

9. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Steve and Mike, Thanks!

I soldered the wires and re-attached them tot he connectors. Plugged it in and powered it up. I now got the power to the printer.

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hmm yeah it doesn't seem wired correctly.

Mine was wired as specified by the color coding.

12. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

We know one thing for sure, either Robo 3D or its supplier (don't know who connected the wires from the socket to the PSU) did not follow any code.

Btw, when I tried to solder the wires this morning, all three crimp connectors came loose from the wires easily. I don't have much confidence in Robo 3D's quality and reliability (not only this issue, but other issues as well) anymore. :-(

The only great thing about Robo 3D is that they have a great support user community with users like you and others. Without you guys, I don't think the company can survive at all.

Once again, thanks!

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hey Paul, when did you get your printer? It would be really sad and dangerous if they still are having these problems with current shipments.

14. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

I received mine on March 12th this year.

15. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

They should solder the wires to those connectors.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Eh crimp connectors are fine so long as they're crimped properly. That crimp doesn't seem to have enough wire for it.

2 people like this.
  17. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Brian @ Robo 3D responded. According to his reply, "I flipped over 5 or 6 printers here and they are not all the same so following it back to the power supply will tell you what it’s for." He believed that they noticed this in the past and the issue had be addressed.

If the issue had been addressed then why did he find the colors of the wirings not consistent with the current 5 ~ 6 printers he checked??? :-(

Anyway, he said that he would follow up on this and make sure QC is aware of these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.