1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adjust flow in real time ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tonycstech, Sep 6, 2014.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Is it possible to adjust flow in real time with LCD controller ?
    While back i saw firmware update that allowed to do that for Z. Anything for E ?
    Thanks !

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

There is an LCD menu to change the E steps/mm. So yes. You could adjust that value down/up to increase/decrease flow.

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

On the RepRap Discount displays there is a direct setting for flow in the "tune" menu after a print file has been sent. Scroll down...

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

None of them are real time. It takes time for changes to take effect.
    I wish my bed was flat so i would not need this, but i kinda have to tune 1st layer's flow until its goes to next level. Sometimes its hard.
    Would be easier if i could do it on the fly.

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Tony, It sounds more an issue of first layer adjustment over flow management. Search for the "microstepping" thread. It tells you the process for modifying your code to use an XXL display to microstep on the fly. Otherwise, yes. you have to "click in" your change. Or do the z screw fiddle during your skirt layer(s).

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Here's the file, even...

Attached Files:

7. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Nop, no flow issues. Bed its warped and i have to adjust the flow in the area where its lower so it wont overflow.
    What do you expect when in some areas of your bed clearance is perfect and in some it touches the nozzle ?
    Flow has nothing to do with the issue but will help me work around the issue if i was able to change on on the fly by rotating the knob.

As for baby stepping, i said E, not Z.
    If i adjust Z, next layer will have the same issue. But thanks, maybe there is a way to tweak it in the firmware its self and change Z baby stepping to E baby stepping ?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually the Tune > Flow and the E Steps/mm are real time changes when entered at the LCD Controller. But I could imagine the effect is not seen immediately and would take several mm of filament before becoming apparent.

Babystepping could be modded for E but you would be busy man twiddling the E during a print !!!

As far as I can tell your basic problem is a warped bed. Have you thought about using a sheet of glass on the bed? A piece of 6mm plain window glass works fine even at ABS temps up to about 100c. If you get a piece of tempered glass, then there is no risk of it cracking at even higher temps.

I have used a glass sheet on the bed from the first time I fired up the Robo.

#8 Ziggy, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
    4 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The original Robo Beta bed was glass and worked OK. I agree using that over a warped bed would be a great idea.

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Plain glass shatters when using heat. I shattered 2 mirrors before and bought 2 tempered 9X9 inches glass hoping it would be flat, but they were both warped as bad as the bed its self.
    So i continue wasting money on mirrors, tempered glass and even found a custom sized cut borocilicate glass for $25 but its $100 minimum order so i will get 4.
    Not only that, but i will somehow somewhere find that sticky heat thing at the bottom and buy that too.
    Too much money wasted on something that could be fixed by replacing a warped bed by support. I've told then about it many many many times.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

3mm window (or mirror) glass will shatter. 6mm glass is far more resilient to high temperatures.

12. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I dont think its the high temperature that brakes it, its the cooling speed.
    5mm is all i had, 3mm isn't even sold in the store.
    Tempered glass is also 5mm. 1 of 2 i bought was warped down to 1mm. CRAZY !!!!!
    Glass its self was $5. Shipping was $20 >:[