1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Adjusting the speed multiplier and extrusion.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vacrin, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Has anyone been able to successfully increase the speed without loosing to much in the process? And can it handle 2x speed?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably not with the default nozzle and hotend.

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

what is 2x speed.
    You lose some detail on some moves. I have printed simple objects at 7200mm/min with good quality. But it is better at 3600. I personally don't find much improvement in lowering the speed much. If you have everything tuned and shored up properly, it can do pretty much just as well at 3600 as it can at 1200. Being impatient, I rarely print at 3600 unless its overnight. if its a 12 hour print I'm starting at 3 PM.. no need to hurry. Might even turn it down. I worry about ooze when running slower though.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With something like the volcano adapter you can go quite fast without sacrificing too much (some fine detail as you mentioned) but that is probably more an issue with drive lash given how the head is moved about. As long as you can extrude enough filament to 'take care of business' you are going to be able to print.

Obviously slower lets you get finer control. I guess in the end it matters only on what you are trying to achieve.
    I'd say, try it :) and see.

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

one is 3600 one is 7200, you can tell which is which.
    [​IMG] I've done tests with test objects where I used my lcd controller and cranked it up 25% every 10mm or so. It does change things.
    you can see the back of the ear on the right one has some problems. The one one on the left was printed with a bit too little extrusion.. but that's not a speed issue. It was a test print. I adjusted extrusion

6. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Using matter control under the tuning adjustment, I can adjust the printing and extrusion speeds. i tried it but it caused the filament to get jammed. Not sure what speed it is currently printing at. (just says 1 multiplier)

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

extrusion is relative to the other speed. no need to change extrusion
    that just ups the goop per mm

you need to use the "speed" tab.

it'll say 60mm/s or something for normal speed.
    120mm/s is fast for a consumer model I'm told.
    The speed slider should be a percent. goes up to 200 on there right?

8. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Ahhhh that may have been why. I upped both at the same time. thinking that if you went twice the speed you would need twice the extrusion rate lol.