1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ambient printing temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dan, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gstercken

gstercken Member

I see, that explains a lot. It always reads like people have to go through a lot of fuss to store their PLA filament properly. Just wondering: What exactly do you mean by "oiler attached"?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

An oiler basically allows you to add a small amount of vegetable oil to the filament as it is passed to the hotend. This prevents the PLA from jamming up/clogging.

4. gstercken

gstercken Member

I see... Thanks for the explanation, and link. But I never had any issues with jamming or clogging, at all, so far. PLA is really graceful on my end, it prints just flawlessly all the time. :) The only issue I'm still facing is printing very flexible materials like NinjaFlex - they'll still curl up in the extruder, in spite of the E3DV6 upgrade, and a rather long PTFE tube all the way up to the hobbed bolt. Still working on that.

5. collin

collin New Member

humidity, sucks and i think its effecting my prints. its been a ridiculously muggy summer hear in Nebraska so i got fed up and and bought these reusable cell phone silicone dehumidifiers and threw em in a box with my filament like so. hopefully we will be in business soon.
    box (1).jpg box.jpg IMG_20140809_243059991.jpg IMG_20140809_243152159_HDR.jpg

6. collin

collin New Member

I made that ptfe tubing addition a couple days ago, totally worth it dude. its really easy. extruder upgrade.jpg

7. RokleM

RokleM Member

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, minimizing the water absorbed in the filament helps (some filament types more than others--nylon really sux 'wet').

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

really? My nylon seems to be very wet. Only thing it does is when Its first heating up, it oozes a bit more than it probably could.
    Constant jet of steam and very nice prints.... when it doesn't warp.

I've been printing on straight perfectly clean glass or on glue stick. I imagine the texture would be a bit more smooth if it were dry and I might be able to print higher resolution... but man... I don't see the big deal with wet...
    This guy says its a must to have "some" moisture..
    http://www.tridimake.com/2014/01/how-to-3d-print-nylon-and-trimmer-line.html

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As the filament gets 'wet' it leaves steam (bubbles) in the print. More moisture->more and larger bubbles.
    At some point it will impact the print quality. Most of the time it is not enough to make a noticeable impact.
    Nylon is the one that has reacted the worst to wet conditions in my prints. I just keep it dry.

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

His 'spikes' theory makes sense for mechanical parts. I've noticed that the wetter the nylon is, the more stringing you get.
    A lot of people are bothered by the hissing and what not that you get with wet nylon.

12. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I've had issue with some filament being too dry and kind breaks at a slight bend.

If the filament has too much moisture it will put holes in the print due to the exploding moisture bubbles.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.