1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Another Neat Feature in Cura

Discussion in 'Software' started by tkoco, Feb 12, 2020.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Ever since version 3.5, Cura has had a nice layer adapting feature which I found out about earlier today.
    Watch this video and read the article for an overview:
    https://3duniverse.org/2018/04/06/ultimaker-cura-adaptive-layers-tutorial/

I had a curved model which was going to take around 16+ hours to print at a fixed layer height. After watching the video at the link, I selected a low quality profile and enabled the adaptive layer feature. The print time dropped to 5+ hours.

At the time of this writing, I'm waiting on the print to finish ( Hopeful! :cool:)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

IMG_20200212_210751.jpg Follow up:

Surprisingly the layer lines were minimized better than expected. I printed the model in wood PLA filament on the C2 printer. You can see "voids" - probably caused by the coarseness of the wood PLA. Some post-processing with wood putty and some sanding should fix the voids.

I'll have to change the filament for a different version and retry on my R2 printer.

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Update: The same model, printed in plain PLA, was free of voids. The adaptive layers option works very well.