1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Another new type of 3D printer, Polarworks Alta

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paul Yeh, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

2. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I love the innovative design! Not sure how well it will work in the long term if they cant eliminate excessive side torque stress on the central stepper motor though as its got a lot of weight hanging off its axis flopping all over the place. I find the idea very intriuging though as it eliminates a huge amount of complexity in the current designs. Right now the developer is touting the "openness of the design", but for a production machine its going to have to be put in some sort of case to be practical for most home users...especially those with cats :)

Overall I do hope it ends up working well. After all imagine a 3d printer with so few moving components!

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Very cool design. Yes the fixed stepper axle will have to carry the side torque of another heavy stepper and the bed and the print. Also all that weight will probably limit the speed. I imagine they have to use a high torque stepper for it. A difference in this system versys an X carriage design is that the fixed stepper must move a lot of weight at the end of a large lever which requires a large torque. It is basically geared up a huge amount. The Robo3D/Mendel design is much closer to a 1: 1 gearing with it's small pulley. Also it will have a lower XY resolution due to the gearing effect but that may not be significant.

4. Aura1989

Aura1989 Active Member

ohhh shinee can i touch it :p

5. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Yea uhh that uhh video uhh is uhh hard uhh to uhh watch

4 people like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not everyone speaks english ya know :)

That's an interesting design