1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Any idea why this happens?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by djchew, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djchew

djchew New Member

Hello,
    Just looking for thoughts on why I am seeing this issue with printing. It looks like the PLA is not sticking right, or it is getting caught on the hot end or something.
    I have tried lots of different setting to try to resolve it. Today I tried going back to the default "Medium" Printer Settings on the Robo 3D Repetier. It didn't help.

I have had this issue with at least two different PLA spools, different colors and different sources. I have attached my current settings. If you have some thing for me to try, let me know. I have tried many things like lowering the Extrusion Multiplier as low as "0.85" and I just tried enabling "Enable auto cooling", but it did not help.

Pictures of issue:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...RnC1r7c/w1040-h780-no/IMG_20140228_233831.jpg
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...Sx8_ZPw/w1040-h780-no/IMG_20140228_234134.jpg

I am not sure if the problem only affects the first layers. A low fill layer could have the problem but it is hard to see because the lines are far apart. Seen here:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...ORKJfeE/w1040-h780-no/IMG_20140301_000317.jpg

Video of the issue:

Attached Files:

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from the short video but the Z-home height may be too low. When it is too low extra plastic squeezes out the nozzle sides and builds up. On the next parallel pass the nozzle will hit this and more builds up. You can experiment while it is printing the first layer by gently turning the Z lead screws clockwise 1/16 turn at a time to raise the Z height. You can do this because the Z steppers are not energized when not retracting and they can turn free. It is easiest to do this on a skirt or brim because they are a bit spiral and you have more time between Z stepper retractions.

Does this happen evenly across the bed surface? I it is uneven across X then just turn one or the other Z lead screw to even it out. If it is uneven across Y then you need to work on bed leveling. Search the forum and videos for this.

Usually if this is not too bad it fixes itself over the next few layers. If not then you may have another problem.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either the height is a little bit too low or the flowrate is a little too much. Hard to say which, try experimenting. The height is an easy tweak to play with as the perimeter is printing.

4. djchew

djchew New Member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I think I will try a big flat print with full fill and play with the Z axis as it does the infill and see if I can find a good height. I will pick up feeler gauges so I can set the height consistently too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.