1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved anyone get the R1 running on mac.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Specifically Yosemite. Just wondering.. a quick search revealed nothing. No reason it shouldn't I would think.. .but I couldn't get it to connect. I changed baud rates etc (can't remember exactly what I did... i was following some instructions from somewhere). It changed the way it reacted (as in, it hung on connecting vs not recognizing it existed) but never connected.

I suppose I can just do the xxl screen and run it straight flash card and use the laptop for any tweaking/trouble shooting. but.. the MAC is in my office space with a good desk on which to robo...

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Typical of mattercontrol.

If you want to use MC I suggest running off bootcamp. Otherwise I suggest using a different software like repetier or cura

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Ive tried a couple/few programs... Have it all set up in the man cave... I'll bring it back upstairs and try again. But i had zero luck previously. Gave up

4. MatrixMinds

MatrixMinds New Member

I have not had any issues with my mac running my R1. Every once and a while it will not connect and I have to unplug the USB, power off the printer, close MC, Turn the printer on, connect the USB and then fire up MC. That will usually resolve my connection issues.

2 people like this.
  5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

What are you running? Im on i7 with yosemite with repetier.
    What settings if any did you change?

6. MatrixMinds

MatrixMinds New Member

running a macbook pro, i3 6 gb ram and matter control, cura, 123d.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

So like... The version of osx is paramount. You still on lion or before?

8. MatrixMinds

MatrixMinds New Member

10.9.5 is my current version

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

so... mavericks I think (for future reference) I forget which version started causing problems... I think it was mavericks.. so that's a good thing.

10. Kimberly Peacock

Kimberly Peacock New Member

I'm using simplify3d on OSX Yosemite without a problem.

2 people like this.
  11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah S3D fixed the mac issue. MatterControl basically accused me of lying when I suggested they fix it.

12. Kimberly Peacock

I'm also leaning towards what you suggested with dual nozzles for now, as simplify3d with the new update makes using duel nozzle easy to configure on prints. Thing is I need a solution now and cannot wait for Chimera or Cyclops to ship. So if you could walk me through setting up dual v6's with ezstruder I would be happy to make a donation to you.

2 people like this.
  13. Kimberly Peacock

I really think that Robo 3d should consider making a pro upgrade kit and have it at several levels, basic, having the simplify3d software, and an ultimate taking into account all the great mods and upgrades offered on this forum and what people consider the best. I would argue that the pro ultimate upgrade should have dual extrusion capabilities, an enclosure, e3d hot ends v6, carriage supports, automatic filament feed system, LCD control with ethernet and wifi, simplify3d software, and in the future feature Kraken with the upgraded electronics.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sure. My skype details are in my profile. That would be the best way to communicate on it since there's a lot to discuss.
    Well I hear CES is coming up...

15. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Matter control gives me a "invalid response from printer" or just "attempting to connect" forever.
    Repetier says its connected but doesn't actually do anything. Doesn't report temps, move or anything " 19 commands waiting" etc.
    Able to connect and update firmware fine with arduino.

I have no other USB stuffs hooked up.

I've tried resetting my pram with no change.

Anyone have any ideas?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Work with mattercontrol I would say. Did you modify the baud rate or anything?

17. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I did... I'm in the middle of a windows based print, but I'll go back and try everything again and make SURE I'm at a lower baud.

I have so much computing power in the house... but all in the wrong location for printing. the netbook chokes a bit on the bigger/better slices.

#17 Ben R, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  18. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Ok... without changing any settings, I tried again. Removed my old R1 Profile, just to start fresh...

Then, it asked to be updated to 1.2.1. Seems to have fixed it. I can't find an updated change-log to find out what the .1 changed.

First time I tried to connect, it crashed, then when I re-opened it, it connected just fine.
    It's printing like a champ right now... so.. I'll disconnect, restart... etc over the weekend and see what happens and re-post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.