1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Anyone recognize this "grinding" noise?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bamhm182, Aug 31, 2015.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

More and more, my printer has started making this "grinding" noise. It didn't used to do it a lot, but not it seems like it is doing it about once a minute or so. Anyone recognize it? It sounds like it is coming from something to do with the Y-axis, but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

In this video, it does it for the first time at right about 10 seconds in.

http://bambuser.com/v/5760215

2. NFOsec

NFOsec New Member

Any chance the guides have debris or residue on them? I had this problem with my desktop CNC in the past and cleaning them took care of it. Just a thought.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the Y belt skipping?

4. Chris Harris

Chris Harris New Member

This is just a shot in the dark but it kinda sounds like there might be something brushing up against the fan? Is it actually causing any problems in your prints?

5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

It's not a fan issue, they're all clear. It's not actually causing any issues with the prints either, as far as I can tell.

I'm going to take apart my Robo for an E3D v6 upgrade, as well as a ton of cable management, so while I'm at it, I plan to also check the Y-belt tension and see what I can do about cleaning the guides. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Check the way the Y belt snakes through the center pinions while you are at it. It should stay centered in them while moving.

If the cog on the motor shaft slips down... the belt will bind in the center at the extreme ends of travel (I found this out the hard way).

7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Did a LOT of work on my printer yesterday. I am printing a fan shroud now and it hasn't made the noise once. I believe that the issue was that the belt was loose, as that's the only thing that I did that I can think of that would have stopped the noise.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that totally makes sense. Also, it is really tough to diagnose because we can't define exactly how tight the belt needs to be :)

bamhm182 likes this.