1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Arduino boards

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tesseract, May 13, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe the ROBO3D is going to be using the Taurino Mega 2560 and to be honest that measn very little to me at this point as I have never even dealt with ANYTHING that had Arduino boards in them, even though it was something I did want to get into. So if someone can correct me on the board the ROBO is using if I am wrong that would be appreciated.

My question is this based on whatever the correct board is what would be a good Arduino Starting Kit to get that is fully compatible with the one in the ROBO3D as I want to begin learning about them and do not want to get something that won;t be compatible with what I get in the ROBO in case I want to join them together somehow( don't even know if that is possible but hey I admitted not knowing anything about them) I do want to learn and I would like to get something that would transfer easily to the board on the ROBO3D

Thanks in advance to all you Arduino gurus here.

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Get a Taurino mega or another variation if you want it to be compatible with the RoBo, I've played with Arduinos for a couple years, but I'm not a expert at them (I suck at coding). But I don't think there will be much more you can do to the Arduino that's in the RoBo since most of the pins will be used up, once it's in the RoBo you won't really need to touch it unless you need to update the code on it.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I just looked and I was trying to find a starting kit but could not find a starter kit with a taurino . That is part of the problem I have with the arduino stuff is you can really tell what you are able to do with one versus the other and everyone hates getting the wrong stuff. Do you have a suggestion for a starter kit going into Arduino I program quite a bit including gcode and I have seen some code and it looks like I could handle that so maybe I do not need the most basic when it comes to that aspect but from there on I am clueless as to which type. The biggest thing is I do not want to outgrow it too soon. So any exact kits would be helpful

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

there wont be a starter kit for a taurino, taurino is a arduino based 3d printer controller. designed specifically for 3d printer, to use with higher voltage power supplies.

If you want to code, you can still code in the arduino language, there all the same. Doesn't matter which board you have as long as its an arduino. When you program it, your programming in arduino langauge to match the hardware attached.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Seshan and Cambo, maybe I can ask this in a different way, I want to get a good arduino setup that I can play with and experiment with several things including code eventually to come up with something like a very small robot or something so what types of Arduino should I avoid in that it would be a waste to get X because this Y is so much better but doesn't cost that much more and they both have starter kits. I build RC airplanes from sticks and planes so have somethings used in these such as linkages and servos Just need to know what to avoid and what to look forin the arduino part of the puzzle.

Maybe even a path of arduinos say:
    Get X because of ..... and it is the most bang for your buck and look at getting Y because .... when you finally outgrow X but don't waste your time on Z because it .....

Something like that would be perfect

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

There isn't really a "Arduino setup". You have your arduino and you you have your electronic parts for what ever project you are working on, that could range from 1 LED to dozens of parts. The only things that I'd say you really need other then electronic parts is a bread board and jumper wires.

Maybe get this http://www.makershed.com/Getting_Started_with_Arduino_Kit_V3_0_p/msgsa.htm or this if you want to spend more money http://www.makershed.com/Ultimate_Arduino_Microcontroller_Pack_p/msump1.htm and a book I have this book http://www.amazon.ca/Arduino-Cookbo...e=UTF8&qid=1368586546&sr=8-3&keywords=arduino

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

OK Guys I took the plunge and got the Arduino UNO R3 I hope that is compatible with the Taurino in the ROBO now off to start looking at it in more detail...where is the on/off button?? LOL

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Taurino is a Arduino mega clone, the UNO is smaller then a mega, The only difference is that the Mega has more pin outs so if you can add more to it. The coding is pretty much the same between the UNO and a mega. The UNO is a good place to start since a lot more people use it, there is plenty of info on the web.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks I think it is going to be interesting