1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved arduino gets hot and powers off ramps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Salvatore Lacorte, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Salvatore Lacorte

I will turn on my arduino for about 20 seconds and the screen powers up and displays information. then the information will disappear and im greeted with a few squares on the screen. i then turn it off and wait about 30 seconds. I turn it back on and the same thing repeats where it will work for about 10 seconds and then not work. I just purchased replacement arduino hoping that will fix it. All help appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Could be a bad RAMPS. If the Arduino is overheating it can be due to too much current draw from the RAMPS.
    It can also just be a bad Arduino. :) I have had a couple of those go bad, but more often than not it is the RAMPS.

Try disconnecting the RAMPS and see if the Arduino overheats.

3. Salvatore Lacorte

will do

4. Salvatore Lacorte

I checked and this only happens when the ramps is plugged in. what do you think?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think it is worth trying another Arduino (briefly) if you have one just to see if it gets warm as well, but more likely than not it is a RAMPS problem. I can't rule out the Arduino, like I said I have seen two die that way.

This is why I just buy the kits that have all the parts any more. (1) if something else is bad you already have a spare (2) the quality of the parts is better. I have gotten individual RAMPS boards (for example) that were bad out of the box from a couple of different vendors. None of the parts in the 2 kits I used were bad. Not a one.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can also test the Arduino without the RAMPs. Load up the generic BLINK example that comes with the Arduino compiler and see if it will load and work

7. Salvatore Lacorte

will do...

8. Salvatore Lacorte

I just replaced the ramps and the arduino and it heated up in the same place and did the same thing. What should I do?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Replace the Arduino next. That is the only part left.

10. Salvatore Lacorte

i did

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the Arduino does not overheat with the RAMPS disconnected you need to remove all connections from the RAMPS and then put it back on the Arduino and one at a time add the connections back to the RAMPS to figure out which output channel is causing it to overload. You have a bad output ... or something is shorted on the RAMPS board itself.

12. Salvatore Lacorte

i just replaced the ramps board

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So is the RAMPS all that is connected to the Arduino? Or do you have all of the inputs and outputs for the RAMPS connected too?
    If you DO have them connected, one of them is bad and causing the overload.
    If you do NOT have them connected the RAMPS itself is bad. There are not too many options here.

14. Salvatore Lacorte

I added the ramps and an lcd and nothing would happen
    I had all the drivers in and thats it and it would still stop working after 30 plus seconds

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So pull the drivers and add one at at time until it starts overheating... (yes, you need to power off each time in between adding them back).

When it starts overheating you have isolated the problem :) Still might take some analysis to sort out why that input/output is being a problem BUT you will know which one is the culprit.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something on the RAMPS is causing it to pull too much current on one of the buses. 5v/12v/? Not sure.