1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Attempted a spool holder print -- failed, need advice.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by regal81455, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

I've attached a couple of pix of the spool holder I tried to print. It's delaminating at the infills --- they don't seem to be stuck together very well -- Ive had a similar failure trying to print the dog tag, it failed during the dog pad portion of the print. The lettering on the spool holder also looks a bit funked up -- just looking for suggestions on what I can tweak that may have an impact on the issues. TIA -- Josh

FYI -- Using MC v1.1.6 and firmware AUTOV4
    PLA @ 200* and heated bed @ 40*
    .2mm layer height and speed @ 40
    CAM00700.jpg CAM00701.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looking at the lettering I would guess (S.W.A.G. only) that there is, perhaps, some leveling issue (the print head is higher going from left to right in the picture).
    The 'E' looks good, the others look like the layers were not pressed down (head too high).

While not a certainty, that would also contribute to the layers not sticking together...

3. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Ok. Well the auto-leveling compensation ( mattercontrols software solution ) is probing 3pts before the print starts -- is there away to manually adjust the Z axis down just a hair or should I redo the calibration and set it to a tighter tolerance? Ive considered trying repetier host or cura instead of MC - if I do this then the firmware 9pt compensation would take affect instead correct? -- Is the 9pt compensation a better solution to bed leveling?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As a 'Beta' user (not an R1) I will let someone more familiar with auto-leveling comment on that.
    If that were my printer (with those results) I would certainly suspect leveling is the main issue.

While auto-leveling is cool and on my list of things to add (at some point) I will say that learning to deal with it manually (which was a royal P.I.T.A.) is a valuable skill ;)

Thanks to @tesseract for his many manual leveling 'tutorial' threads :D

#4 mark tomlinson, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

When the print starts, look for a flat looking filament line being laid down on the bed. Not one that is rounded on top but flat. If it's too low, you won't see any filament.

Use the left and right z screw rod - hold one while turning the other as it prints and watch for the filament being aid down - adjust as needed. Once it's there you can adjust the z axis stop screw.

This is on the beta version. I also do not have the auto-level. But the above method should still work for you.

Lately, I've been able to adjust the height manually by eye. Move the extruder left to right watching the height and adjusting either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

6. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Tx Peter for your response -- weird thing is that my 1st layer is coming out pretty nice -- I watch it print the skirt to ensure we are getting good even coverage around the design -- all seemed well with this print -- Ive attached a pic of the bottom ( portion against the glass ). Maybe you can see something I don't... CAM00702.jpg CAM00703.jpg

7. Peter Krska

Take a shot of the first layer height.

Also, take your model and run it thru netfabb basic to make sure it manifold.

Watch the temp as it's printing and make sure the temp is not fluctuating.

Make sure there are no drafts or cold air running thru the room.

Just some thoughts. The only other thing is to compare prints with something that already exist and everyone could test. That way you could compare if the problem is model or not.

You need to eliminate all the possibilities. Don't assume. But methodically work thru each possible problem. Sometimes it's the most simple thing but we all assume it's not that!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

From the bottom side that first layer looks pretty good, but like @Peter Krska says you really have to watch it go done to be certain.

9. Peter Krska

Print a 20mm cube. Does it print properly?

If so, it's the model. Try also reorienting it on the bed and see if that makes a difference.

Sometimes you need to share the file and have others print it and see if it's printable. If it is, then it's your setup that needs fixing or tweaking.

I have also noticed that certain filaments print better and look better than others.

Black is usually not pretty. orange and white are my favs. You need to try other manufacturers and see what looks best. It's paintable so what colour you print with really doesn't matter.

10. regal81455

regal81455 New Member

Tx guys -- yes the calibration cube printed pretty well ( see photo ) albeit a little shortbut the x and y dim were right at 20mm. The file has been printed by others so its gotta be my machine.

CAM00695.jpg

11. Peter Krska

Check for loose bolts and set screw underneath the bed.

Also see if the motors are loose underneath the bed. If you can move them with your hand, then you need to tighten them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.