1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Attempting to make the leap from Stock to Cyclops. Care to sanity check?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by bamhm182, Apr 26, 2015.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

As the title says, I've decided to finally make the jump from the stock extruder to the E3D Cyclops. I haven't really been able to find a lot of information about this exact transformation, so I did a bit of educated guessing. I'd appreciate if anyone seeing this post, especially if you've gone through Direct > Bowden or Cyclops upgrades *cough* @Mike Kelly *cough* could give me some input on parts or thoughts I may have missed. Since this will be a pretty big mod for me, I'm also very well open to any tips or suggestions.

Assume I don't really have anything except a wide variety of M3-M6 bolts/nuts, tools, and my Robo 3D. Also keep in mind that I would like to keep my direct drive carriage in-tact as much as possible, with the exception of the stepper motor. Here is my BOM:

Printed Solid:
    E3D Cyclops ($145)

Amazon:
    12x LM8UU Bearings ($17)
    8-Pin PCI-E Extension Cable ($10)
    100ft 1/4" Braided Wire Sleeving ($23)

McMaster:
    25ft 2mm ID 4mm OD tubing ($7)
    12x 0.5" Steel Compression Springs ($10)

TriD Printing:
    2x Hardened MK7 Drive Gear ($14)
    4x m5 Push Fit Connectors ($12)
    1x Nema 17 Stepper Motor XYZ ($17)
    5x 608ZZG Bearings ($5)

Total Cost: ~$260 (Yikes, that added up quick! Also, a perfect time to note the benefits of being single with a guaranteed paycheck. ^_^)
    As far as things that are printed, so far I only have the following in mind:

I "recently" bought a pegboard and I believe that it would be a great place to mount two spools of filament and the stepper motors. Considering that there aren't and pegboard stepper motor holders already, I'll probably end up borrowing a design from someone on thingiverse and adapting it to attach to my pegboard. I'll upload it and update this thread when I have more information on that. Additionally, I'm thinking about adding some sort of connector to the base on the left side of the printer that would easily allow me to attach and remove the stepper motor assembly for transportation or other needs. I might just end up using two molex connectors, but I think it would look better if I had one 8-pin connector.

EDIT: I remembered that some graphics card use an 8-Pin connector and decided that would probably be a good fit for this application. I found an 8-Pin extension cable on Amazon and ordered that. I have some 18-gauge wire that I plan on using for any extensions I may need to make. I also bought way more than enough braided wire sleeving to add a bit of cleanliness to the project. When I get some spare time, I'll have enough left over that I can work some magic on the inside of my computer as well!

#1 bamhm182, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

What steps number NEMA17 would need for MK7 gear ?