1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Auto Bed Leveling Inconsistent Left to Right

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lamiskin, Jul 15, 2015.

1. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

Hi All,

I have an R1 (purchased very recently) and it looks like I am having issues with the auto bed leveling.

I've attached a photo - it looks to me that the right side seems to print well, where as the left is to close to the bed?

Any suggestions / ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated. I thought minor differences should be accounted for with the auto bed leveling. I've made sure the Z endstops look like they are sitting correctly.

IMG_6268.JPG

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

That's an easy fix. Paper level it. Get a piece of paper and move the carriage to the right side. Then twist the right side threaded rod until you get a tiny bit of resistance on the paper. Then move the carriage to the left side and do the same. Keep going back and forth until you get the same amount of resistance on the paper on both sides.

lamiskin likes this.
  3. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Another way you can do it is send the g29 code to run the auto level then look at the z numbers it gives you. Spin each rod accordingly until they are as close to zero as possible. Then the auto level doesn't have to do as much work..

Edit: make sure you home your axis first! G28

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

4. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, they seem so obvious now. I'll try them out in the next day or so.

I am just wondering what benefit the auto-bed levelling has, if it can't account for differences in the level? Maybe I am not aware of what it is actually there for.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Leveling is a misnomer. It tries to make the X/Y plane as uniform as possible.
    Mathemagically.

An even plane may not be 'level' but should be normalized with respect to the print head.
    It will still have potential issues as at best it samples 9 points.

The more 'level' your bed is from the start the better it will be.

6. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions, getting a much better test brim now, very consistent across the whole bed.

IMG_6272.JPG

mark tomlinson likes this.