1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto-level accuracy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chuck L., Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck L.

Chuck L. New Member

I have a R1 with auto-leveling. I'd like to know how accurate the leveling should be because it doesn't seem very good on my machine. I have been using MatterControl, automatic print leveling is enabled.

I recorded the Z results in four consecutive G29 probe cycles, each was preceded by a G28. I averaged the results (all dimensions are mm):

0.19 0.218 0.668
    -0.082 0.02 0.292
    -0.188 -0.112 0.268

I created a 150mm test pattern and measured the thickness of the 1 layer (0.25) skirt.

[​IMG]

Does this look right? Any suggestions on how I might improve it?

Also, how does MC use the level settings from auto-leveling configuration? Wouldn't the probed results be all that is necessary?

2. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

While not a perfect solution, you could just shim up one side (depends on if you want the layer lower on the right or higher on the left. To trick the Robo to print lower you add a piece of .1 mm material on the flat underside of the surface the switch touches. To trick it to print higher you add the .1 mm material on both sides of the button on the upper side of the switch assembly itself.

3m blue tape is just a smidgen over .1mm per layer from my experience.

This isnt perfect but if those results you show are consistent it would get you within ~.1mm I would personally make the right side print lower...but Im pretty newb :)

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That looks good to me. Auto-leveling isn't perfect because there's some variation between when the right switch activates and when the left. The difference should be small but it might come out in a first layer. After that it should be good and as long as you have good adhesion you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Autolevel just helps with innacuracies, it doesn't get rid of them completely though.

4. Chuck L.

Chuck L. New Member

Thanks guys. I shimmed the low corner per Mikethinks' suggestion and it does look much better. There is probably about 0.1mm error. I need to tweak a little more.

thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.