1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Automatic Bed Leveling not starting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Morten Kals, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morten Kals

Morten Kals New Member

Hi! I just received my new Robo 3D printer, with the new auto bed levelling feature. It worked brilliantly the first prints, but now it just jumps right into the print, skipping the calibration. As a result, I have gotten some scratches in the glass of the bed, as the printhead has been too low whilst starting printing. I am using Matter Control and selecting the R1 model in the printer configuration. I have tried setting up the printer in Matter Control several times - no difference. I have not turned on automatic bed-levilling in Matter-Control either, as it says I should not in the documentation. Does anyone know how to ensure the auto-leveling is turned on? Is it part of the G-code, or is there something I have to do with the printer itself?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need to add G29 after the G28 in the G-code startup.

2 people like this.
  3. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

2 people like this.
  4. Morten Kals

Morten Kals New Member

That did the trick! Thanks a lot!!! :)

5. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

We're here to help.

Hell, I still need help a lot of the time. =p

2 people like this.
  6. Morten Kals

Morten Kals New Member

New problem: after calibration the extruder is too close to the heated bead on the first layer. The material gets squashed around. The after some layers it starts printing well. Any ideas? I have tried with different values for "Initial layer thickness" (from 0.2 to 1.0), but it does not seem to make any difference...

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Whats you z offset?

2 people like this.
  8. Morten Kals

Morten Kals New Member

As set in the g-code? I have it set to 0.3 ("G1 z.3"). Is that the perimeter I have to change? What is a suitable value to start off with?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need to calibrate it. Zero the nozzle in the middle, raise the nozzle in .1 increments counting how much you increase until a piece of paper barely fits under the nozzle. Then subtract .1 from that value. That's your Z offset.

2 people like this.
  10. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

As an example... my offset is .85.

Your printer should have come with a piece of paper taped to the bed. That paper should have your offset on it. Start with that number and you should have a good reference point of where your offset will be.

Go through the steps Mike suggested to come to the real number, but keep that paper number handy as a point of reference for where it will likely be.

2 people like this.
  11. Morten Kals

Morten Kals New Member

The number on the paper was -.6 but I measured it myself to .9 Using the .9 value it put down the first layer perfectly - thanks a lot! Is there any handy place in which I can find information about doing this kind of thing, or do you just have to learn by doing?

12. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Mostly learn by doing and by asking on the forums. Generally speaking, everyone here is glad to help as much as they're able.

I've had mine for less than a month, but I've been on the forums for about 3 just reading, learning and asking questions.

The shoutbox is a great place for quick help as well, but for more complex issues it will likely be recommended to start a thread (like you did for this).

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

future versions of matter control with have instructions. Though most stuff about 3D printing you learn through experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.