1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Axis Shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by phreakinuts, Jun 17, 2017.

1. phreakinuts

phreakinuts New Member

I can't seem to print anything of height. There's always some level shifts. It's getting extremely frustrating. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Any time you get layer shifts it is always an axis drive issue.
    Always.
    Same bullet list I post everywhere in here :)
    1) loose belt or drive cog on an axis
    2) something mechanically blocking (i.e. getting in the way) of that axis travel (cable bundle blocking travel is a classic one)
    3) electronics out of tune or bad (i.e. the stepper driver which moves that axis is weak and not driving the stepper with enough current and it skips steps)
    4) stepper motor bad and skipping steps

3. phreakinuts

phreakinuts New Member

So the biggest question for me are how do I correct these issues? Sorry, I don't know all the components very well and there are very few good walkthroughs. I feel like if I built a printer from scratch I'd be better off.

Thanks!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You would have been better off because you would totally understand how it works.
    The problem is that you should have a working printer to learn on.
    If you are under warranty you seriously need to be scheduling a call with the tier-2 tech.

As for the answers:
    1) tighten the belt or drive cog. The drive cogs has set-screws (well, they have ONE) where the belt goes over the cog on the motor shaft. The X motor is on the crossbar, the Y motor under the bed (lift the bed off of the magnets). Spin the motor shaft around until you find it and make darn sure it is tight. For the belts you need to tighten them. The Y axis has the screws down on the bed frame you can tighten, the X you need to adjust a ziptye or create a ziptye loop to tighten it with. Here is one of mine: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...nsion-technique-mod-to-use.18410/#post-107172
    2) Look at the printer. Slide the print head left-right full stop and see if anything can possibly get in the way. Lift the bed off the magnets and slide it full stop both directions. Any cables likely to be getting in the way? Fix them if there are.
    3) All you can do here is replace parts. Figure out which axis is give you issues... X/Y and then look at the wiring diagram for the RAMPS (you didn't say which printer you have and it does make a difference so I am assuming you have an R1 -- the boards are not widly different, but they are different). See the top of the RAMPS board without the stepper driver cards on it. It is labeled for each axis (X/Y/Z) whichever axis is glitching on you is the one you want to replace the stepper driver cards.
    RAMPS_top.jpg

They are small cards and look like this:
    Stepper drivers.jpg

They will be mounted on top of the RAMPS board in the previous picture (which itself is mounted on top of an Arduino board and that is the brains).

4) Buy a NEMA-17 stepper that will fit and replace the actual stepper motor itself. These will work:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8 as will any other similar sized NEMA-17 with at least 30 oz-in of torque and a step angle of 1.8 degrees (200 steps per revolution so 360/200 = 1.8)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. It is NOT the Z axis that is shifting or you would have holes in the print :) X or Y is shifting as the Z rises. Sort out which one and go from there.

7. phreakinuts

phreakinuts New Member

So I think I mainly nailed down the printing issues. I had to do a couple of things. The first thing I did was reduced acceleration on the controller. I dropped that down to 500. The second thing I had to do was adjust the retraction to 6000. The final thing I did was decrease the heat on the extruder. I was printing PLA anywhere from 210 to 220. Dropping that down to 190 significantly increase the quality of the print

#7 phreakinuts, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  8. phreakinuts

phreakinuts New Member

Although I do seem to get one layer on every print that shifts slightly.