1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bad Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Barneycastle, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to the ROBO 3D + printer....I have a problem when I try to print out projects. I have been using the M3D printer for awhile but I wanted to get bigger. Here are some pic of my bad prints.
    I'm using Hatchbox PLA filament.

Attached Files:

2. Trama

Trama Member

I think more info is needed to help you out. What are the heat and speed settings that you are using and are you printing via usb or sd card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Hi,,,thanks for the reply.....Nozzle is at 210 and bed is at 50..Using the USB port...I Will post pic of speed. Also now when I print the test circle. 1 side of the bed is lower than the other...I have manually calibrated it several times. I posted a pic of that also.

Thanks again
    Barney

Attached Files:

4. Trama

Trama Member

With the one side of the bed being lower , it may be that one side of the z axis is slightly high. Mine shifted a lot in shipment and was out of square a good amount. You should measure the distance between the X axis rails and the bed, if one side is higher you will need to manually turn the z screws until you have it parallel to the bed, it shifts occasionally and is really easy to fix and check make sure you use a pair of calipers or make a calibration block out of wood, something you can set under each side to adjust the height. You should also check that the heated bed is sitting on the rails properly, it should be firmly attached to the magnets that hold it to the rail.

As for perimeter speeds I usually run 50 mms on the inside and 35-40 on outside perimeters and support, 10 mm for bridge speed.

Along with heating the bed I like using glue stick to help get the prints to stick. But from the picture of the calibration circle I would say your first order of business should be to check the height of the X axis over then bed. It looks like it is way out of square and the 9 point bed calibration won't fix that

5. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Hi,
    I did the X axis screws...used a digital height meter on it from bed to rails...When it started the print and did the auto level it seems to have changed my settings.

6. Trama

Trama Member

Which settings seem changed?

7. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

The bed becomes uneven again. Like I never moved the X axis screws.

8. Trama

Trama Member

Could you post a picture of each z axis screw?

9. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Sure here they are.....

Attached Files:

10. Trama

Trama Member

Looks to me as if the brass nuts that are showing are not seated properly. I had the same issue, a lot of these issues are from it being banged around in shipping, parts move around

11. Trama

Trama Member

You can fix it but it may be frustrating. You have to rotate the tread and hold the brass fitting and the z axis carriage to try and get the brass fitting further into the z axis.

I think it affects the interaction of the limit switch on the z carriage and if it does not contact correctly that specific side continues to rotate and throws is out of square

Barneycastle likes this.
  12. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Hi again,
    That was some of the problem. Now that I fixed that, the Z axis is traveling up instead of down. When it tries to HOME the print head goes up from the bed. No wires where disconnected everything looks good.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is only going up then at least one of the Z axis home switches is incorrectly triggered.
    When it thinks is at Z home it raises itself 10 mm or so.

They are in parallel so either switch being triggered make the printer think it is at Z home (on the bed essentially) so it raises it a little bit.

14. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

How do I fix that? They look ok.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

First look carefully at the switches. The little button that activates is small and maybe it is not actually making contact with the carriage. If you manually move it and can hear the little click that means the switch activated then maybe you have a bad switch.
    Remove the wires and read across it with a meter (on resistance) while you manually press the button and make sure it is closing and opening. Assuming that is the case then the last possibility is a bad wire back to the RAMPS board (under the printer) or the wire has gotten disconnected from the board. trace it back and have a look.

If against all odds all of that is fine then you might just have a bad RAMPS, but dollars to doughnuts it is something in the switch mounting, or wires.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a simple circuit to the switches from the RAMPS.
    The firmware sees a HOME Z command and tells the Z to move down until one of the switches triggers then pop back up a little.

So, if it is only going up then it already thinks it is as far down as it can go :)
    That may be a switch lying to the RAMPS, but the firmware is working.

17. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

Thanks Mark that did the trick. My prints are still coming out bad... Here are some pics of the box calibration.

Attached Files:

18. Barneycastle

Barneycastle New Member

I returned the printer and they sent a replacement.. Plugged it in and it works great.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member