1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bad Ramps board, motor or both?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 2brosmanufacturing, Feb 15, 2016.

1. 2brosmanufacturing

2brosmanufacturing New Member

Was running a print and the extruded started making horrible noises, stopped the print and checked it out, pulled the gears off to make sure nothing was striped out and everything was turning fine. Used the xxl screen to jog the steppers and all worked besides the extruder motor. Decided to swap it on the ramps with the x axis and then the extruder would only run 1 direction and the x wouldn't move. Only had the printer about a month now so still in warranty. This is the R1+. What could have caused the board to go bad this fast?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is possible this is the Stepper Driver card, not the RAMPS itself. Those are the little daughter cards plugged onto the RAMPSs that (wait for it) drive the steppers :)

You may just have had a faulty one. Under warranty contact Robo support directly and see what they want to do. They may just replace the RAMPS and stepper drivers together, I don't know. Out of warranty I would start with the driver card.

3. 2brosmanufacturing

2brosmanufacturing New Member

well I had a few mins this morning to mess around with it and was swapping around the cards and that did nothing for the issue. I did try the extruder motor on a different wire set and it worked fine, but the wires have to be bad as when I tried them on another motor in a diffrent spot then the motor didnt work. I also noticed my z axis will go up fine but not down at all. I am going to guess the ramps board fried when the wires shorted or broke.