1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bad Robo Tape Adhesion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chair, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Chair

Chair New Member

I have had my Robo C2 for over a year now and while I have figured out a lot of the bugs associated with being a beginner in 3D printing, I've had one problem that has been haunting me for the last few months.

I can get perfect bed adhesion; as in the print wont lift off of the provided masking tape. However the tape itself lifts off the bed. I have had this problem with multiple spools of PLA and with multiple temp settings. I found that the problem is (for the most part) solved by using green masking tape. But if you use any tape that isn't black the auto leveler doesn't level the bed correctly.

So either I use the black tape and accept that the print will warp because it pulls the tape off the bed, or I get a really bad first layer.

Hopefully someone will have a solution to my problem.

Side note: How does Robo expect me to use my printer if it is only able to auto level with the black tape that is currently out of stock in their store?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

either the adhesive isn't good, or there is junk on your printbed that the adhesive isn't making good contact with the printed bed (you'll have to try to clean the bed very well, get all old adhesive off and give it another try).

None of us work for Robo so none of us can answer how they expect you to do that, but you can buy buildtak (which works great) on amazon or from Buildtak in a close to what you need size and not have to worry about the sticky pads being in stock :D

3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Ditch the black tape squares as provided by Robo and replace with the BuildTak sheet as provided by Robo or anyone else. I'll never go back to tape since the BuildTak performs so well. You might need to slightly adjust your z-offset but once dialed in, it's amazing.

That said, you get much better first-layer adhesion which in some cases causes problems (like with thin/big parts made from the carbon fiber—infused filament). In this case, I put it into the freezer for five minutes and then grab it by opposite corners and give it a twist when it comes out. It should break loose somewhere then gently insert the spatula tool and slide it slowly around the perimeter.