1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Be aware of RSP (respirable suspende particles)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by polylac, Jul 25, 2013.

1. polylac

polylac New Member

Hi together

To make this clear i don't want do panic or something but it's a point that everybody should know (and everyone can then do whatever he thinks is right).

I have only a german article right know ( http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/digital/schadstoffe-aus-dem-3d-drucker-1.18122641 ) but I try to say it in a nutshell.

3-D printer emmit a "high ammount" of ultra fine particles (less than 0.1 micro meter).
    ABS: 200 x 10^9 per minute
    PLA: 20 x 10^9 per minute

They are in size of a virus, going into the lung and probably into the blood.
    This can in high concentration cause asthma and stuff like that.

I tried to calculate the amount in micrograms per hour is about 1 for PLA and 10 for ABS.

They say: you should use 3D printers only in good ventilatet rooms.

To make it clear once again, i don't want anyone to panic, but it's somehow like a laser-printer, you shoul have an open window or something like that.

Or a encosure whith an active-coal air cleaning or something like this if you want to be "100%-safe"

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

3. polylac

polylac New Member

hi sry i have't seen them.

tat's true, but there's no reason to ignore it just because we do it anyway (but in which amount?)
    and they are not only small, but really really small and therfore it's difficult to compare.
    The amount in micrograms is pretty high if you take into account how small the particels are.

printing abs for 25 minutes in a closed 100sft room (8feet high) leads so about 100 000 particels per cm^3 which is then a very intensiv source of UFP.

as i said, do whatever you like but it should be known.

@Admin: can you integrate this post into the existing one? (I'm sorry i didn't see it bevore).

4. polylac

polylac New Member

yeah if you cook with gas at least.
    but i would't cook for hours in a closed room...

and this is after 25 minutes, if you print for 5 hours you'll have a lot more...

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

you breathe this in weather your cooking with gas or electric, its not just the gas that has these particles,

do you sit in front of your printer for 5 hours? do you stay in an enclosed room for 5hours with your printer running? do you have central hvac running in your house?

6. polylac

polylac New Member

As a student you don't have so much space...
    on the other hand you first say: doesn't matter we have it anyway
    then you say: doesn't matter if you're not around.
    That's true but this was not what i wantet to point out.

I only wanted that everyone is aware of this (like someone who smokes knwos it is not thaaat healthy)
    So you should run it at least in a good ventialtet room.

I also said: if you don't care at all you don't have to do anything.

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

nano particles is nothing new.

8. polylac

polylac New Member

I never said that they're new or invented by a 3D printer...

I didn't know this till today that a 3D printer emmits so much of it.

I hope it's clear now.

9. polylac

polylac New Member

as i told you, that was absolutely not the point... but maybe my english is not good enough to eyplain this properly.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hey anybody breathe in the Los Angeles Smog that is probably worse than any of this...just sayin

2 people like this.
  11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Second that ^^ hahaha.

12. polylac

polylac New Member

so you mean like: there's a lot of smog, let's male some extra? no just kidding.
    but not everyone is that unfortune to live there...
    as I said, if you don't care just don't.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry if I was making a bit of fun. It is just that when you take this along with all of the other thing we have going on in our lives and what we are exposed to that no one even knows about the likelihood that something like this will have or even could have an affect on us is microscopic, not that it doesn't exist, it does, but it is a very small chance. To add to that they are not even sure if it is unhealthy or not some groups say yes some say no.

Everything we come in contact with can kill us if it affects us in the right proportion. Hell even breathing oxygen and 100% is not the healthy thing to do but we have to breathe and guess what we need oxygen.

So I am not saying a hazard does not exist but it all has to be taken in the proper perspective compared to everything else is all.

14. polylac

polylac New Member

Thanks.

And I said no one should panic about this. But if you can avoid a hazard (and this is most likely one) then do it, it's not a beag deal to avoid.
    I mean it's more difficult to stop breath ;) but "guess what" our body has it's mechanism to remove most of the dangerous stuff that comes along with oxygen, but particels smaller than a virus, is something unknown, I think this is a difference.
    Even common smog contains mostly bigger particels (otherwise you'd probably won't see it at all)

But this wasn'r the point.
    I only wanted to tell all those poeple (like me) who din't knew this: there's something. Do whatever you think is right about this.

I know that there are other sources etc.

15. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I read someplace that plastic does not interact with any of our cells. It passes thru out bodies and does not matabolize. So it shouldn't cause cancer or disease. Anyone else can confirm that?

16. polylac

polylac New Member

First there is no such thing as "the plastic" it depends. Some interact as a chemical.
    Second, sometimes the problem is not the main substance but additives (colours, softener, etc.) or remains from the production.
    Some remains and additives are proven to be poisonous or carcinogenic (like phtalates).
    Last but not least, sometimes it depends (or could) on the form. Like Asbest which is harmless as a solid, but carcinogenic as a fiber.

If it were that easy the medicinic industry had no need for special plastics to use in the human body (bio compatible)

2 people like this.