1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed Adhesion Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gage, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Gage

Gage Member

Not sure what the issue is, and my best guess has me worried.

Been printing for years using the Elmer's Purple glue stick, always been my go to since I read about it with no issues other than bed leveling.

Needed a new RAMPS board not long ago, got great help in troubleshooting the issue.
    Have had to print a few pieces and parts for the printer, all went well. That is until I noticed my last glue stick was almost out.
    No biggie I thought, just go get another multipack.

Now the issue, did not change any settings on the printer. Applied the glue stick to the glass plate as always, after a good cleaning and wipe down with alcohol. Start print, it is as if the glue actually makes the glass plate LESS sticky. The usual tacky feel is not there. I have zero adhesion.
    Has anyone else had an issue like this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, yes and no. Over the years I have experimented with a lot of bed adhesion "Assistants"
    Tape, clue stick, hairspray, etc. What I found was that if one helped or not seemed to depend more on how well setup the printer was (was it trammed correctly and the environment -- temperature and humidity of the room).

Certainly the electronics didn't change the adhesion characteristics. Experiment with something else. If you get desperate you can use this: https://airwolf3d.com/shop/wolfbitenano-prevents-pla-3d-printed-parts-from-warping/ it is however, not exactly cheap.

Honestly the biggest effects on the adhesion are generally the amount of squish your first layer has and the bed temperature.

3. Gage

Gage Member

I have used that wolf bite before. Worked well, almost too well as it cracked one of my glass panes upon removal.

Funny enough, I thought I would just try a different glue stick, from the same pack this morning. And poof, tacky surface like I remembered.

Guessing it was just a "bad" stick or something.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Gage

Gage Member

Only other guess is that the sudden cold front in the weather here has just had that much of an impact on the humidity level in the house.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, that can do it too.

Gage likes this.
  6. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

Probably the cold front then. Do you notice changes in humidity from day to day?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Me? Not really, we generally run really high humidity and consequently I run the A/C in the shop all the time to control it. Stays about 40% or less in there and doesn't change much.