1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed heater wires getting extremely hot

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Timebmb757, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Timebmb757

Timebmb757 New Member

I just installed a new heated bed today, and whenever I heat the bed, the wires leading to the heater itself get extremely hot, like to the point where Im pretty sure they would have caught fire had I not been smelling the insulation heating up.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I did rewire the printer to new connectors, but they work fine in the extruder heater, so I cant imagine its those that are the problem.

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Check the resistance through the heated bed. It should have a specified wattage or resistance you can compare to.

W= (V^2)/ohm

If the heater is shorting out current could be flowing through too quickly.

I'm an ME so take this with a grain of salt. I know enough so that when I electrocute myself it doesn't hurt too bad.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What are the connectors amp rating? What kind of heater? A stock one?

4. Timebmb757

Timebmb757 New Member

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those absolutely can not handle the 11A the bed puts out.

6. Timebmb757

Timebmb757 New Member

Oh wow, well that explains that then. Feeling pretty stupid, lol. Do you have any suggestions for other connectors?

And would those be alright for the stock E3D V6 heater? Theyve worked fine thus far, but the last thing I want is a fire hazard.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I believe those JST SM connectors are rated to 3A so it's fine with the 3.3A from the heater cartridge. The .3A is pretty negligible and you'd almost never be pulling that much current. Only during heatup. If you're really worried you could reuse the 25W heater from the hexagon but that's not necessary IMO.

Deans connectors are a great high temp connector: http://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Ba...d=1429303612&sr=1-2&keywords=dean's+connector

Those JST SM connectors will work fine for the thermistor though.